SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 3, 2015, 03:57 PM
Don Alm

Default Re: $10,000 A MO from "Mobile"?

Hey Thanks Dien......yup, as I've often said, "Money-Making" ideas are all around us"

ex: When I was in a hotel room I couldn't find a TV Channel Guide for the area. The TV Channels on the TV in my room was different than at home. I phoned the front desk and they said they "run one up to me". This was a nice hotel and a maid brings me a sheet of paper with the Channels listed.

So....I look at the list and think, "Let's see; what if I put the list in 3 columns on a 6 x 9 cardboard.....put the Logo and Info about the Hotel at the top and a photo of a Pizza and Phone # to have a Pizza delivered.

Then I notice I could put 6 ads on the back.....2 cols down and 3 rows across.

Thus....when I got back home I made up a sample....went to the largest hotel and asked "If they had any Objections to me providing these at no charge." Then, made up some samples Ads and went to see some sponsors and found a very willing audience.

Same with my 2ft x 3ft Map Boards mounted on Lobby Walls next to where guests checks in.

Same with Flyers on Pizza Boxes. I got that Flash when I ordered pizza and on the boxes were taped flyers with coupons for re;orders. I thought, "Why don't I put Coupons in the middle of a flyer and ads for local biz around the edges.

Same with when I entered a popular restaurant and saw a "cheap" aluminum frame with today's Daily Specials. Why not have a nice wood frame with framed squares around the edges for Local Ads?

Same with when Faxes first came out.....the Pres of our local Chamber asked; "How many in this room have a fax machine?" Most hands went up. Since I was sitting at a table with 3 restaurant owners....I asked; "Hey! Why don't YOU guys send a "Daily Special Fax" to local business officeses?" The response was; "Hey Great Idea Don.....why don't YOU put it together and I'll be your first client!" Thus...."Fax Bux" was born.

Same with when I first went to a Video Rental Store to rent some videos to watch with my grandkids. I removed a video from the plastic box....put the video in the VCR and placed the empty Case on the coffee table next to a box of "Photo Cards" I had just received from my supplier and....un-consciously put 3 cards on each side of the video case and WHALA....discovered 3 cards fit perfectly on each side! So....I made a Sample and visited a local Video Rental Store and asked the owner if I could supply him with FREE Video Cases.....that had Full Color Photo Cards on them (This was when Photo Cards first came out) He LOVED the idea so....I spent the next few yrs putting Photo Cards on Video Rental Cases.

Same with when a local Paint Store owner (one of my Ad Clients) showed me a new product for "Renewing Wood Decks". He explained how this product was discovered and that HOW it would make Wood Decks look like New..... for 7 years. When I used it on MY wood deck WHAMMO!...I was sold and, I made up a Sales Presentation and went about selling a "Deck Renewal" service.....hired 3 guys (who I knew were on UNemployment BUT....were still looking for "Work") Thus was started "Deck-Re-Nu"! (My pitch to deck owners was Awesome) I then proceeded to build the biz and sold it 18 mos later for a Nice Chunk O Change! (Ohh....the Name of the Product is "ONE-TIME"

Same when an "Internet Buddy" in Utah introduced me to a product that could REMOVE OIL STAINS FROM DRIVEWAYS AND PARKING SPACES....and still be "Environmentally OK"! Just sprinkle this special Powder and WHALA, Oil stains go away in 2 days. Banks & Fast Food drive-thrus LOVED this! So did Strip Mall and Apartment House owners. Wow.....the gal I set up in this biz is STILL going.

Same with another IM buddy who told me about a product that could "Renew HeadLights". I tried it and WHALA.....went about selling local Car Dealers as a way to; "Sell their Vehicles FASTER and....for MORE MONEY!"

When I was living in the Aspen Co area I had MANY local biz owners who asked me to find a way to get their Ads seen by "Affluent Diners" dining in Aspen's POSH Restaurants. Placemats were out.....Plastic Table Displays were out....I could do "Ads on Coasters" but, not enough Pizaz for me! Then, one day....as I'm in the John taking a pee at one of these Super-Fancy diners I notice the wall in front of me at the urinal....NOTHING! EMPTY SPACE! So, why don't I make up a "Wall Frame" that had some info about the Restaurant AND.....Space for 4 local Ads on each Board. I then created "HEAD-BOARDS"....which I proceeded to run with for a couple of yrs and even branch out to Less-Affluent areas.

So....as not to take up more space....just a quick listing of some of my favorite money-makers;

AD-MUGS - Ads on Coffee Mugs (8 restaurants in MY small town)

WELCOME-MAGNETS - 8 1/2 x 11 Magnetic Sheets with the top 3 inches with Phone Numbers of interest to Home Buyers....4 Columns of Ads (in alphabetical order) 6 ads down and 4 across

OIL CHANGE Cards - a Card entitling the holder to 6 FREE Oil Changes over the next 24 mos ($180 Value).....which is Sold....door-todoor for $20 ea.

TOWN ON DISK - Area Info and Alphabetical Listings of businesses ON A CD.....MAILED to people asking the Chamber to send them info about our Town (2,500 a Year) ($500 A YEAR from each of 80 participating biz)

BIZWORTH DISK - A CD with a software program that shows; "WHAT A BIZNESS IS WORTH in 30 minutes in the privacy of your office"! (I've sold hundreds of these for $197 to biznesses ALL across the country)

And.....recently - APPOINTMENT REMINDER SERVICE - phone to confirm appointments for Doctors, Dentists, Chiros, Clinics, Auto Repair Shops,,,etc ($25 a day per client) (One gal I helped get this going is now (2015) collecting over $3,000 A DAY with she and her phone gals)

Anyways.....excuse me for taking up this space but I thought 1 or 2 folks might like to know how I came to get involved with some of my projects and might inspire them to.....Give It A Go....

Thanks for viewing,

Don Alm.....long-time Entroopeneer