SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 2, 2015, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Default Cliff notes here...

History line...

When Bud Weckesser was at Kent, he met Gary Halbert...

At Indiana, Jay Abes was Bud's student, he introduced Jay to Harvey, J went to CA, studied with Harvey...then went off his own.

Harvey had one of the first computer managed list services...and during this time, in S CA there were many seminars on mailorder.

Harvey worked with Gary Halbert, Ben Suarez. Joe Karbo, Joe Sugarman, Jay Abraham, Joe Cossman, Jerry Buchanan and many others.

Almost all got into PUBLISHING, and created their own materials.

As for Joe, I met every week with Joe Karbo, I was a student at Golden West Community College in Huntington Beach. Karbo took a liking to me, both Navy guys, he was fascinated with submarine stories and he also knew people in Akron whom I had worked for.

In the video you linked to, his desk still had stuff on it, even though by then he wasn't going there often. When I sat on that leather couch, there were stacks and stacks of books, newsletters and envelopes scattered around.

He showed me HOTSHEETS, one of which was a weekly flyer put out by S. CA yacht association, for which Joe paid 20 bux a week to get, it went out to a list of around 200.

He also rec'd information on closeouts, overstocks and discontinued items. He was a subscriber to just about every newsletter out there on mail order.

He loved boats, had a whole bunch of kids (can't remember how many), was a great story teller and just a very likeable person, and smart as the proverbial whip. He wasn't ashamed of his many failures either, wearing them on his sleeve as badges.

While I was out there, I met with several mail order business men, and I have to put Karbo at the top. He gave me his TIME, and that is better than any money or methods he had to sell.

The Dyna-Psych stuff was traced back to Robert Collier and his mentor, William Atchinson. I'll post a brief Cliff's notes version of that time line too, later.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adolph View Post
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the additional insight into Joe Karbo. Seems like Harvey Brody was instrumental and mentored many future successes. (sidenote: Did Harvey Mentor Jay Abraham too? I recall reading/hearing that somewhere)

YES. I did make note of his mention of the Dyna-Psych. I am interested in knowing Joe's Resource for it...please do share.

Glad you enjoyed.

Duane