SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 8, 2015, 12:33 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Look to the Environment....

The rate at which people get cancer is alarming. In 1900, 1 out 20 people would get cancer. By 1940, it was 1 out of 16 -- and over the years, more and more people are getting it until today, where there is 1 out of every 3 people developing cancer in some form or another. 'Cept in certain areas of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland it's close to one out of every two. I'm sure diet and exercise play a big part of it, but we're also poisoning the environment. An article in the CTV news today said:

" Sugar substitutes -- such as Splenda and Sweet'N Low -- are designed to be eaten, but not absorbed by the body. Because our bodies cannot break them down, sweeteners go straight through humans.

That's how consumers get the sweet taste without the weight gain often associated with sugar-laden foods."

Sewer treatment plants are not equipped to handle things like this, and they get flushed through into the environment and can damage aquatic life. Here in Nova Scotia, that means they are eventually flushed in to the Bay.

Then they take the biosolids from the Waste Water Treatment Plant, run it through a process that eliminates some of the heavy metals, mix it wil cement kiln dust, reclassify it as fertilizer, and then sell it to the farms for one-quarter the cost of real fertilizer. They only test for a handful of heavy metals and chemicals but there are at least 21 known carcinogens, 30 heavy metals, flame retardants, steroids, hormones and so on, all adding up to around 60,000 chemical substances and pollutants.

My, doesn't that sound yummy?!!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a lot of health issues today are directly or even indirectly related to a toxic environment. I jumped on this band wagon in 2013, and put up a website for it a few months ago. Me, and the groups I'm associated with have had one victory so far with a minor setback. Instead of releasing fracking wastewater into the Bay of Fundy, they now process through the LarFarge cement plant. As previously mentioned, it gets mixed with biosolids and sold to farmers as fertilizer -- it certainly diminishes the quality of the "win".

I do this in my spare time. You can see what I've done here: savethebayoffundy.ca -- nothing to buy on the website -- it's just articles and information.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan