SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4, 2016, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default Copywriting and critiques...

Sure, I will critique copy, usually get 500 to 1500 bux for this service, or more if I have to do any actual writing or editing...but for just an OPINION, this is my range.

Now I've sat around a table of million dollar copywriters who critiqued each other's copy. I recall a couple of pieces where everybody thought it was good, and after two tests of 5,000 bux each...

the COPY BOMBED. So, the writer was given the option of testing out of his own pocket (against his draw), and in most cases where the tests failed, he politely and QUICKLY declined further testing of his "can't lose copy".

Most decent copywriters can see the bad copy, but it is the good copy, and everyone has some of these in their portfolio, which tests,

REAL LIFE, Put YOUR Money Where YOUR mouth is...show do not work, for one of several reasons.

OK. I recently rec'd a request to look over some "PRETEND" copy, without being told anything about it, like which media was it written for.

I took a look. I did not like what I saw, and if you've ever spoke to me over the phone, you know I'm not one for pulling punches nor sugar coating my opinion.

Normally, I would be to busy, but once in a while, I'll take a look.

So, the guy writes back and wants to know what to believe...because another person said it was good.

That person, a BIG NAME GURU, with books on the subject and all that, liked the PRETEND copy and said it was like something he would write.

My response;
Opinions are like A-Holes, everyone has one, only a real test, where the reader votes with his wallet tells you anything useful.

Which is why I don't like PRETEND or practice copy.

If you want to write copy which sells something, write copy for a product where people can buy it or not.

Put your copy in front of the right target, and get the only opinion you really need.

In the last few months I've rec'd requests from so called copy writers who need to find work, this, after paying a WF "guru" $ 3,000.00 for his course on "positioning" and getting bigger money. Not one, but TWO of his students who can't find work wanted MY help...

I sent them back to their guru.

It is the state of copywriting.

Anyhow, you all now know my rates, so keep them in mind if you want me to critique your copy, even if it is "pretend" copy, fair enough?

GordonJ

PS. I laughed when this guy told me the Guru said it was like the copy he wrote, I laughed because...this Guru has probably paid more fines and been one of the most looked at marketers, by the FTC, for his questionable copy than other Guru in history.

So for the guy's sake, I certainly hope his copy is not like what the Guru would write. HA!