SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 9, 2016, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Default Basket economics vs unit economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron lafuddy View Post
I'm seeing the same thing with strip malls. The vacant units are not being filled.
These are located in what would commonly be described as "good" areas

Now you've got me thinking about it. Particularly in light of the new "security state" arrangements, I see coming down. (Doesn't matter who is elected prez.)

Ron

Doug Mcmillon made the statement that BASKET economics are more important than unit economics.

Read between the lines and you see why the malls are closing, strip malls are not being filled.

NOBODY (in their right mind) just runs into Walmart to pick up one thing.

"Honey stop at Walmart and pick up some oatmeal."

OK he says as he pulls into 7-11 and utters, "like Hell I'm going to Walmart".

So, the kid is going back to college, instead of running all over town, you shop Jet.com, and the more you order, the LOWER the prices to the point you will SAVE more at a one stop, rather than running for the bargains here and there, the loss leader won't stand a chance.

See, this is the Basket Economics which will drive retail for years to come, and the mom and pop better be good at what they do too.

Even restaurants and fast food, imagine the Burger Prince with delivery service and the more Whippers you buy, the lower the price, your kids birthday partY has just been made more affordable...

And so on.

Add shelf robotics into the mix, and eliminate most of the stocking needs, and you save in employee costs and shelf space. Little R2D2s running around restocking the unit which just went through the register.

Truly George Jetson on his way.

One area sure to grow is RECREATIONAL areas, and family events, the mall could be the StayCation, having a mini Disney like experience and the former Sears is now a hotel, hostel, or in many malls, the local flop house or homeless shelter (oops talking Trump economics again, my bad).

As Entrepreneurs we want to look into the future and SEE the biz-ops, and one I see booming, as it has been for the last decade is the CASH/Barter economy, until the near future eliminates cash from our lives.

Such an exciting time for us.

And as an aside, my chattel apprentice is also doing swell with his restaurant buying and selling, and I am still talking him out of storage, although I think he is going to rent one of those storage units. But building networks is the secret (as I've blabbered about for over a decade) to making quick transactions where storage isn't needed.

GordonJ

PS. And local biz will need to advertise even more to stay in the game, YEA for those of us in the advertising game, hip, hip HOORAY.