SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 11, 2016, 05:00 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Oh, I think many "coaches, teachers and gurus" foster this dependency.

[Re-edited by Dien, last part is by Gordon... Long story... ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice
Hi Gordon,

That is quite an insight... And I have a feeling it's probably right, too!

Being an entrepreneur is often quite "uncomfortable"... You don't exactly know what the future holds. You often have to be quite flexible, so that if you see the bigger opportunity is elsewhere, or within easier reach, you may have to change your plans. What you end up doing is not necessarily what you predicted at the start!

Many people can find all that hard to stomach! They get the heebie jeebies...

But, what if there's a "surrogate boss" figure, to tell them what to do? Now, there is less uncertainty! The "boss figure" knows what to do!

Of course, one solution (for a coach) is to drop those who don't want real entrepreneurship coaching...

The other (perhaps sacrilegious!) approach is, to give these people who want a "surrogate boss" figure, what they want...

It could be easy money... But, can you bring yourself to do it?

Anyway, it's interesting food for thought! Thanks for bringing that up!

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. I've met some people who call themselves "business coaches"... but who have never made money themselves. I don't get that.

Actually, some by intent create this relationship, one glaring example is Colin Theriot, and he named his group, Cult of Copy.

Now me, I love cults, even wrote a book on them in days gone by...great lessons of influence and control to be found in cults.

And in many ways Gurus exhibit many cult leader skills and influence technique. But building dependency into your offers, is pretty much the standard SOP in games of influence and Newsletter or Information publishing vehicles. You MUST be the authority to your subscribers.

So, I think Marlon has shined his light and brought this powerful technique into the discussion, and sometimes, two words like SURROGATE BOSS, can be the bright flash of inspiration.

I present it as a consideration for those to understand both sides of the coin so as, heads I win, tails I win too.

Being aware of how a Guru might position as the Surrogate Boss, and having a line in the cement you won't cross, can save one time and money...and knowing when to hold em, gives you the Gambler's jackpot.

I've already got 10 pages of notes and examples of how this SURROGATE BOSS thing is already being applied, and we know it, probably at a subconscious level, but by TOTAL CONSCIOUS AWARENESS, we can now incorporate it into our decision making foundation.

It is even greater than this, I don't think even Marlon gets how important and significant his two words are (or could be) to those who read between the lines.

Also, it might come in handy when developing a KEY man position in a group which prevents the rug being pulled out, sort of being a "STEALTH SURROGATE BOSS", the guy holding the strings.

GordonJ

PS. I want to address the business coach in a separate post.

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM.