SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26, 2016, 12:21 PM
Richard Dennis

Default Re: The problem of the water supply, business, and government...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Thanks Richard - I always enjoy reading your writings...

I agree government is inefficient and maybe it being run more like a business could make it more efficient. I ain't no expert in that.

There are probably cases to be made both ways. I think it might not be that simple too.

My late father was an economist, and one thing he talked to us about (when he got into "economics mode") was something called "natural monopolies."

Some services are best run as a monopoly. For example take the water supply. Let's say it is run like any business with competitors. It would mean that any business could run water pipes to your house. You could have 10 different companies running different water pipes to your house. This would not be efficient at all. That's why the water supply is called a "natural monopoly."

Now say that it is run as a private business with no restrictions. What's to stop the water company from charging you an exorbitant rate for your water? Because it's a "natural monopoly," if there were no government controls - you'd probably be paying exorbitant rates for your water. That's one example where running a government can be different from your "usual" business.

Just thought I'd throw that in there... I always enjoy your posts.

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

Good point.

On the other hand, if your dad knew that the people running the water company and the other natural monopolies got a little aggressive and ran up $19 trillion on their Visa card (as they have here in the U.S.), payable by our children and children's children and children's children's children, then I bet he would get to work on figuring out some other solution.

Richard