SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 1, 2018, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default A very, very good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell View Post
You're a wealth of knowledge, Gordon! Keep being awesome. What percentage of people actually succeed to implement concepts like that in your experience?

Thanks Farrell, GREAT question. And I've gotten myself in hot water before, because I actually did a very unscientific, informal but revealing research project.

I chose Tony Robbins. Why? I featured him in the 1997 NPGS UPDATE HOTLINE when I was with SCI. And even then he had over a decade of followers to tap into.

I contend, MOST people never implement the concepts their, or any guru or teacher gives them. MOST people. I will fall back on the Pareto idea, the so-called 80-20 rule, but my gut says it is more like 95-5.

If you had the ability to survey Tony's attendees over the last 20 years, and they would number into the tens, if not the hundreds of thousands of people...

I believe we would find the majority right where they started, albeit, they may THINK they have changed and will credit Tony with whatever change took place. There is a principle of FIRST GURU encountered, which can be seen very clearly in the copywriting crowd.

Which ever GURU one comes in contact with first, and resonates, will be the guy (or gal) at the top of the mountain. If that is Halbert, Kennedy, Abraham, or any of 101 other teachers, a person will often defend and standby THEIR choice, and we learn from Cialdini the idea of commitment and consistency.

If someone has committed 10k bux to Tony Robbins, I'd bet the farm they are now secure members of his 'cult'. You wouldn't be able to persuade them anything negative about Tony.

Now he is easy to pick on, but he also probably has the largest army of followers of any of the self help gurus.

It is a lot like golfers. Although I proved beyond the shadow of anyone's doubt that my golf instruction led to faster results than the PGA model, and even including those who have had a PGA golf coach for years,

they tend to plateau. They know the concepts well.

A PGA taught golfer knows the statics; grip, stance, swing. Yet overall golf statistics indicate the handicap of today's golfer is about the same as it was 25 years ago, and this in spite of better balls, clubs, friendlier courses...

and you rightly said IMPLEMENT. I think a million people know the concept of the Law of Attraction, and Tony Robbins teaches his own brand of it...

they know goal setting, dream boards, visualization, believing as it already exists; yada, yada, yada.

Yet from those millions, how many do you think have successfully implemented what they have learned?

I think, very darn few.

Now, that being said...

What is different about the SQ1, say from some generic Law Of Attraction guy with his 12 must do thingys., The SQ1 is personal. No two can be alike, and so instead of having to follow someone's mantras, rules, laws of success, the "do it my way, you'll get my results" (bullshizen) of the gurus,

The SQ1 will tell you why, your personality, your background, your experience may be the block which prevents you for doing it their way.

See, I have long fought the one size fits all crowd. The do what I did, get what I have LIE, is the biggest myth in all of self improvement. Imagine, the thousands of guys who bought Jack Nicklaus tapes, books and tried to do what Jack did...how many got his results? HA!

That may be an extreme example, but Tony Robbins said that exact thing decades ago, when he was teaching everyone to stay in love...by recalling those wonderful moments, and putting yourself in a state of mind...and you too, could stay in love, just like Tony did...

and that was, what? How may girlfriends/wives ago?

So sorry to be so long winded, you hit a nerve, I'm very skeptical, I think very little is applied.

VERY few succeed and fewer still actually stay with any implementation.

Now, if you do the SQ1, and you see yourself on various loops, that is, if you keep doing some of the same things over and over, then you stand a chance to uncover the blocks which may be preventing you from fully implementing the concepts.

I do know people who have spent thousands of dollars with Tony, and others, and are basically running on the same treadmill they were on when they discovered the Master.

Results come from continuous, ADJUSTED efforts within your highway (or 5 ring circus).

I am of the opinion, most self-help, self-improvement courses never address the reasons why people don't get the results they were promised...

and the guru would say (after spending your thousands of dollars).."YOU didn't follow my directions, YOU didn't DO what I did."

And there you have the universal weasel cop-out why so many systems, concepts don't work; not because they weren't attempted...

but because they didn't fit.

Very few people understand that, and thus; down another rabbit hole they go.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : August 30, 2018 at 10:37 AM.