SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 10, 2020, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Isolation BIAS, where you are determines what you should do.

Dien,

Look out your window (but don't open it), it is a BLEAK world right now.

The possibility of my scenario, and how to prepare, comes mostly from what I might call Neighborhood BIAS.

Suburban dwellers will react differently from inner city, crowded living conditions persons. Take your water supply, where is it? Who controls it?

We in Cuyahoga Falls, are lucky to have our famous " wells", and a top rated water source and delivery system. In the last few years, many infrastructure updates have been made.

Down the road, in Akron, their water supply consists of 3 reservoirs, and many more miles of corroding infrastructure. All the "lakes" of their system are publicly accessible. Our wells are not.

Why mention this water issue? Well, check your town, city or village. Is water use up? Probably pretty hard to get answers. I know, because so many people I know work for the city.

Electric and water use are way UP, for homes, however this has been balanced out due to all the closings, especially schools and stores.

When the heat kicks in, and air conditioners go full steam, those who don't have them tend to be outdoors.

As of today, no one is worried about water, electric or any of our public utilities, but I've been through enough hurricanes and natural disasters to know these can QUICKLY become a huge problem, when they get impacted.

I see a much BIGGER PICTURE, and Covid 19 is only a part of that pic, the tiny ripple effects of today, may become a tidal wave of bleak activity tomorrow.

Most people (especially those under 50) don't remember the riots of 67-68 when cities burned, when gangs ran the streets. Those didn't involve food, or water or select heath care.

So, how do you prepare?

Start with an assessment. Make a checklist, know your area, where does your water come from? What happens if it gets shut off, then what will you do? Same for power? What do you do if the electric goes off for an extended time?

Start with living essentials, do you have several days of food, water, clothing. In the event of an evacuation, where will you go? How will you get there?

The California wildfires showed us that even rich people can't stop a fire from taking their homes.

PREPARATION is thinking through different possibilities, from mild to bleak and even worse. The American Preppers, as I have long noted, have their Bullets and Butter stored and protected.

That is the selfish thing, which has merit to some extent, you can't help anyone if you can't take care of yourself...

but consider your neighborhood, who is going to need help, who might help you, make your neighbors friends, and prepare to look out for each other...which is one reason why a food CO-OP might be a good thing to look into and get started now.

If the worse scenario doesn't happen, then the only effect on the Prepared person is they may not have to go shopping for awhile.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

It's a bleak picture... I hope you're wrong... but...

Be prepared.

(I was a boy scout once!)

Let's say this is a possibility...

What should we do?

Apart from preparing for it ourselves...

Maybe the way to go is to "sell shovels to gold miners"...

And help others prepare too...

I have to wrap my head around this more...

- Dien