SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19, 2020, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default Speaking of copywriting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Got a newsletter today from a famous copy writer (a real one) who has a new book about how MAIL ORDER is making a huge comeback.
Gordon

I stumbled into writing copy, and never really called myself a copywriter. Of all the things I might have put on a business card, copywriter wasn't one of them.

During a 30 year period, I never looked for a client, never solicited or didn't try to sell my services, they all came looking for me. So, I don't offer much to the 200,000 new copywriters who daily whine:

"How do I find my first (or second or 6th) client?????

I don't know. I suspect if you write copy and it works, they find you.

But maybe that is old man, old world thinking? I don't know.

I do know I turned down most offers made to me, mainly because I was busy with my own stuff, and didn't want to commit the time to someone's project, my plate was full.

I did, however, pay attention when commissions were a part of the deal.

Being a face to face salesman, I liked depending on ME for the income. So flat rate fees for writing just didn't have the appeal, that a fee PLUS a commission did.

And way back in the 1970's, long before it was popular, I sort of got specialized with working with Vitamins, Supplements and all that sort of thing, and got a lot of work for my SELF MAILERS, which, if anything, became the thing that got me noticed in the DIRECT RESPONSE world.

Writing direct response copy was a natural extension of my face to face selling once I heard the idea that Copy was salesmanship in PRINT.

Plus all that work with hypnosis and Erickson "distraction" technique, all came together. Maybe that is why I never looked for a client and turned so much work away...I made myself (unintentionally) unavailable, thus, commanding higher rates?? I guess.

But when you get a winner, that pulls in lots of moolah in a short period of time, word gets around. I guess I would tell today's wannabee copy writer to...

get ONE winner...

and you'll have work, maybe for decades ahead, if you can sustain it.

Gordon