SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 28, 2021, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default The TWO most important words in my business life have been...

Two words changed everything for me.

Two words.

Once I had wrapped my head around them, embraced them, understood and applied, I wish I would have had these two words decades ago.

Common, ordinary words...but they became a BEACON to whatever I was doing.

Curious? Well, here they are.

SLOP & MESS.

Once I understood these, and Harvey Brody really showed advanced understanding and another light bulb went off...

I could clearly see how I got sucked into doing things, WASTING TIME, and fiddle-farting around.

In retrospect, I could see it in my golf business, in my resume business, in my singing telegram business, in fact, in my life in general.

So, I ended up full circle, a 360 degrees, almost, from standing on porches and knocking on doors selling fresh picked flowers door to door. NO slop or mess in that. Only Magic words (Spiders, snakes and Mice).

It really led me back to the AUTOMATIC PRODUCT VENDING sites, which I credit Bill Myers for showing me the way on that.

Offline, real vending machines have limited slop and mess, two guys I know who have done it for years, have people to fill up the machines, collect the money and they basically count it and spend it. Now, there are several more I know who have gotten into the business and slopped it all up. Making it difficult.

About nine years ago, EDDM was just taking off and several people got in on the "ground floor", some guru types with a lot of hype about easy money...but many experienced guys from BULK MAIL, who knew what they were doing and adapted their businesses to EDDM.

The guru types told people it would be easy to make thousands, filling up Co_op postcards with ads that EVERYONE WOULD WANT...there was a guy I talked to, who quit his job to get into the so called 9x12 money making machine...and he did do 5 of them, before he had to go find a new job.

Some guys were trying to put 18 ads on a 9x12 postcard, you wanna talk about slop and mess, go try that and see what happens.

I had a lot of s & m in my menu boards, (and thanks to Don Alm for the good idea) see one doesn't have to be creative, just adjust ideas to suit yourself.

Run around Sue, made a great song, run around GORDY, very off key noise.

Selling ads, collecting money (what a run around pain in ) getting proofs approved, those guys were taking weeks to sell 18 ads and the first guys on the card were getting antsy. Anyhow, most of us saw the S & M in that, and we scaled it to 6, then 3. Even with the latest menu boards, which died with Covid 19 lockdowns, there wasn't much to it, only 3 ads made it possible to be profitable.

Today, I see the S & M of people using WordPress, with plugins, add ons, or websites in general, or with multi funnels, or all that. Not saying you can't make some decent dough with any of it, I am saying, FOR ME, it is all too much involvement.

As I was going over some of Bill Myers' checklists recently, I saw he was very good at eliminating much of the S & M that bogs so many down.

I got out of affiliate marketing because of it. Just too much of my time for not enough return.

So, maybe some of you younger people will consider these two words and take a long hard look at what you are doing and see if you can locate the quick sand, the bog down, the places you need waders...maybe take a moment and look for the slop and mess before you get started, and it could make your life and business much easier and more profitable too.

Gordon

PS for you Planners, be able to see the dogs on Elm street from the rooftop.

Last edited by GordonJ : February 28, 2021 at 04:02 PM.