SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 7, 2021, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default My top book suggestions depend on...

...the reader's awareness. In other words, beginners wouldn't get much from advanced stuff, likewise, experienced people would be bored by beginning information.

As for any BUSINESS. I think a foundation of understanding what a business is would help most. Even those who just jump in and get started and make some money, may wind up in a place they don't want to be in.

Some may knowingly swim in swamps, Perry Belcher comes to mind, and others may plead ignorance, the "didn't know".

So, a beginner should at least have an understanding of what a business is and what the obligations of that business are, ie, TAXES.

Perry Belcher was forced to forfeit his assets, others, like Gary Halbert went to federal prison, and still others, like Kevin Trudeau are still incarcerated...all of this because of either poor business practices or knowingly operating outside the laws.

Maybe a basic business book, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Busi...dp_ob_image_bk

Accounting can be an issue for many, and online businesses, like affiliate marketing for example, seldom address this. I remember a Warrior who soared to 100k a year, then in a matter of months, went down to less than 10k a year, imagine that accounting nightmare, eh?

Then there is the law. Another area oft overlooked.

A REAL business would have a lawyer and accountant at hand, not employees at first but for consultation. It is an expense that many wannabee business owners ignore.

My suggestions would then depend on what the person brings to the table with them. How much do they know? How much have they done? What experience do they have?

I know of at least 10 people who started a remote direct marketing business after being employees at SCI for awhile, being exposed to the daily activities and seeing first hand all the moving parts bodes one well to strike out on their own.

A beginner might do the one above. I still suggest 7 Steps to Freedom II, the math hasn't changed, his founder's story has a lot of insight.

Simple understanding MAILORDER would be Melvin Powers' HOW TO GET RICH IN MAIL ORDER. Basic, simple book. Good for motivation.

A more advanced Mailorder book would be SUCCESSFUL DIRECT MARKETING METHODS by Bob Stone and Rob Jacobs.

Books that I have found helpful were: from Jeffrey Lant: THE UNABASHED SELF PROMOTER & MONEY MAKING MARKETING. I am a Lant fan (of his writing).

IF someone was NEW to the jewelry business, I might suggest:

https://amzn.to/3qqDkck

My answers, like always, begin with INTENT. Once I know what that is, then I could make better recommendations, right?

Advertising would depend on the market, how it reacts now, what it does, who is doing well, then I might suggest one follow the successful examples.

Having seen the evidence; Three hundred million dollar companies, thousands of products, BILLIONS of dollars sold...it is hard to convince me there is something better than the NPGS formula for business.

The problem with it is, it requires some deep drilling down into it. To get to a 40 on a product is not an easy thing to do, although a 35 could give one a lot of profits.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePT View Post
Hi Gordon, I have another question for you.

Your top books on these topics?

- Starting/Growing/Managing/ a Mail Order Business selling all types of products;

- Advertising;

- Business in general;

Thanks.

MikePT

Last edited by GordonJ : March 7, 2021 at 02:21 PM.