SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 3, 2021, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Very few people ever had this book by Robert Collier, I DID.

Speaking of lost work.

Robert Collier had a course, then a book...it was: How to Make Money at Home in Spare Time by Mail. I first saw a copy at KRISTEE products, in Akron, OH.

It is actually where Seeds of Wisdom comes from, as RC wrote in his book, and it was a theme he used at much of his work.

Plant seeds. Lesson six in the course was all about the back end of selling by mail, including upsells, cross sells and maintaining customer lists...which was not an easy chore in the 1930s and 40s. It was a chore, albeit, a profitable one.

Funny thing. All those guys, who 20 years later came up with the concept, all of them probably had Colliers MAIL order book in hand. We think of Joe Karbo, and Ben Suarez, Melvin Powers, Hubert Simon, Bud Weckesser, Jerry Buchanan and Harvey Brody and their spawns: Dan Kennedy, Jay Abraham and Gary Halbert and all the rest...

Collier came decades before any of them had any success at all.

And for the most part, he was more of a Spiritual leader than a business one and the great body of his work reflects that.

See, somewhere in the 1950s, ideas of success became more and more about materialism. A new middle class with hopes, dreams, ambition and aspirations arose.

This is when we saw a boom in the get RICH quick, or GET RICH at all, and for the decades since, the materialistic view of success has been the prominent projection, especially toward young men.

Big houses, cars, boats, all that = success. It became about wealth, money and what you had...not what you did. Today, that is reflected in young people wanting to become INFLUENCERS, the rock stars of today and many teens think they are one viral video away from having Pew Pew Die Die type success. This is even encouraged by their parents.

The recent college entry scandal only shone a little light on the idea, and that idea is the wealthy want to keep the wealth and one way to insure that is by getting your kids into certain "success" colleges, so they can make connections. That is what it is all about.

Getting rich, having things, was NEVER a part of Robert Collier's philosophy, although he created wealth, it was never just about that alone.

I think today, there is a need for a resurgence into the ideas behind our modern view of what wealth and success is.

Being able to buy a Maserati and actually needing to buy one might be the difference between night and day in the real (ethereal) world we live in.

Although Robert Collier wrote about gaining material success via thoughts and control of desires, he also demonstrated the DOING, the passion for what we do is every bit as important as the results we get from the doing.

I know it has been republished, but my copy was a real treasure as was my original edition of Secret of the Ages, both lost in the great flood of my life thanks to greedy A-holes in my city.

How to make money at home, by EMAIL, or remote means...his book would serve as a great template to follow today...long before anyone uttered a word about launches, funnels or email sequences.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : April 3, 2021 at 03:53 PM.