SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22, 2000, 06:38 AM
Roy Preece

Default Desire – Painting pictures of the future

Hi Dien,

You asked for contributions on the Desire step in the AIDA process. Perhaps this idea from face-to-face selling might help ….

One of the techniques we teach salespeople is to paint a word picture of the future, with your customer at the center of the picture – enjoying all the benefits from buying your offer.

Your ‘picture’ has to be as real as possible, so you involve all of your client’s senses. You describe what your client sees, what they hear, what they smell, what they touch, and even the taste in their mouth.

You describe this scene from your client’s (happy) future, but you put it into the present tense.

An example. But first, look at this description of a past event. Last month I was in Ireland, on holiday with my family. If you asked me about it, I might say:

‘In Sligo one evening, we watched the setting sun turn the sea red, against the black background of the mountains on the other side of the bay. Over the roar of the pounding waves came the seagulls’ cries - as they fought each other for the scraps thrown from the returning fishing boats. The clear air was turning cold and making us shiver and reach for our coats, as the smoke from the evening peat fires drifted down the wind. Our son Jack (aged 13) had only one question:
“What time is Buffy (the Vampire Slayer) on TV tonight?”’

Now if I was trying to SELL you a holiday in Ireland (and assuming that we had got past the Attention and Interest stages of the sales conversation, and we had already agreed that you were looking for a quiet family holiday rather than an orgy in Las Vegas) - I would PAINT YOU A PICTURE.

The picture would have YOU, the hero, in the center.

I would say: “You take a holiday in Ireland and this is what happens.
It’s two weeks from now.
You are sitting in Sligo harbor. You can see the setting sun turn the sea red, against the black background of the mountains on the other side of the bay. Over the roar of the pounding waves you hear the cries of the seagulls - as they fight each other for the scraps thrown from the returning fishing boats. The clear air is turning cold and making you shiver and reach for your coat, as the smoke from the evening peat fires drifts down the wind.
Your companion turns to you and says: “This is the best holiday I’ve ever had.”
Isn’t that what you really want?”

Of course it’s easier face to face, because if you’re not too hot with words (as in the example above) you can make up for it with ENTHUSIASM in your voice and behavior. In print, you need an ace copywriter to make the words dance.

But the idea is the same. Paint a word picture. Help your client to VISUALISE themselves ENJOYING the benefits of your offer. If you can make them FEEL the enjoyment in their imagination, then they’ll desire your offer so they can feel the enjoyment in reality.

Hope this idea helps.

Roy ‘bring out the poteen’ Preece