SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 12, 2001, 12:29 AM
Don Alm

Default Print THIS out! It's a Classic!

30 yrs ago I started a burglar alarm co from my apartment with 2 screaming babies and a frustrated, worried wife.

I had just lost a job (that I didn't care much about) and I found a company selling a burglar alarm that would pick up a phone...spin the dial and give a recorded message. It was a glorified Tape answering machine.

I took that device and went out and sold it to homeowners. I started with 1 installer and in 7 yrs I was able to sell it for a bundle. It was the 3rd largest alarm co in the northern suburbs of Chgo. Many days, I went door todoor selling my alarm syatem to store owners for $500 down and $30 a month. I sold hundreds.

I was (still am) an ACE Direct Salesman.

One thing about "Direct Sales"...YOU can pretty much choose your own product or program because MOST people would NOT consider Direct Sales as a means of earning a living.

They do not think they would be good at it (be able to close deals) or it "scares them to death"! The blow to their ego when someone says "No!"

I have a friend who's selling water filters the way I sold them in college...the "puppy dog". Leave the unit at a prospects home or biz and come backto pick it up in a week. MOST will NOT let you remove the unit.

One day, on a dare, I showed a friend how to make $1000 A Day in direct sales...on an investment of $140.

I took him down to Cook Brothers (warehouse district of Chicago) a wholesale house with all kinds of household products. I was interested in their "Ceramic Coated Pots & Pans" sets.

These were colorful pots and pans, usually with green peppers, orange carrots, red apples etc.

I bought 20 sets for $7 ea. Loaded them in my trunk and drove over to a high rise office building. Parked in the lower parking lot...handed him 4 sets...I carried 2.

Went to the top floor. Went to the first office door...went inside...set the boxes down in front of the receptionists desk...placed one box on her desk and opened the box as I was saying the following;

"Hello! We are coming from a housewares show at McCormick Place. We had these sets of terrific cookware left and instead of sending them back to California...the boss said to "move em out"...so, instead of the $79 per set...I can let YOU have a set for just $29".

As I was saying this I took out a quarter and started scratching the bottom of a pot, "See! Ya can't scratch these! Here, feel how solid and heavy it is!" (As I handed her a pot)

She usually felt it and said, "Yes! This is nice! How much did you say these are?"

By that time another secretary was approaching the desk. I handed her a pot and said, "We just came from a housewares show. These are normally $79...I can let these go for $29 OR...if YOU would like a set also...they're $27.50 ea!"

By this time a 3rd and sometimes a 4th girl would appear. I would then tell them if all 4 bought a set they'd be $25 a set.

I sold 2 to 6 sets per office.

Sold the 20 sets in less that an hour...went back and got 20 more sets. Did 80 sets that day at an average of $25 a set.

My friend could NOT believe what he had just witnessed...SO...the next morning...guess where he is...yup...Cook Bros.

He went on to average 40 sets a day at $25 a set earning him a nice $1,000 a DAY.

I'll bet Cook Bros is still in biz in Chgo...and I'll bet the same cookware sets are STILL $7 ea and I'll bet "I" could STILL sell to secretaries in almost any city with the same spiel.

So...if you ever find yourself in need of some fast, LEGITIMATE CASH...think about what you just read and get out there and SELL!

Don Alm

alarm company at one time - now we are
> looking for new direct sales products and
> looking to the US for ideas.

> Does anyone know the top selling
> direct-sales products in the US at the
> moment?

22 Ways To Make $50,000 Starting with $50