SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 17, 2001, 09:30 PM
John David Bradshaw

Default Re: Fall communiqué. Can you help me?

> BUSINESS #4: The GOURMET FOODS party. Sure
> there may be a recession, but you know what?
> People still are spending their money,
> especially on small LUXURIES, like a gourmet
> meal, or a part of it now and then,
> especially when entertaining.

> EVERYTHING is for sale, from the skillets to
> the FONDUE set (making a comeback
> folks)...to the gourmet spices and herbs to
> the gourmet BASKETS already assembled and
> ready to go.

> These parties are for busy PROFESSIONAL
> women who don't have the time to really
> entertain properly, so there are many
> opportunities here.

Several years ago (maybe 6 or 7), there was an MLM company called Truly Special that sold gourmet food--jams, jellies, dips, sauces, etc. You got an assortment of maybe 20 items in a box for $100.

You made money selling others on the idea of selling others on the idea. A relative gave me a box of goodies and a position in her downline. I never did anything with it...the position, that is. I did eat the food.

Now five dollars for a jar of jelly is pretty steep for me. But I did enjoy the goodies. The company went out of business. I heard that one of the principles of the company took the money and ran.

There is a company in Kentucky that sells $5/jar jelly for fundraising purposes. I bought some a few years ago. It was great: corncob jelly, country peach preserves, plum jam, apple jelly...man, was it good. And yes, I would pay $5 a jar again if the fundraiser would just call me back! (The jars -about 10 oz. each- came five to a box for $24.95.) I have misplaced the name and address of the KY company...I had contacted them once before about handling their product, but was told they dealt exclusively with that one fundraiser.

> My questions and you probably know what they
> are going to be by now; are:

> Have you been to a HOME party lately?
> Candles? Foods? Spices? Tupperware?
> Cosmetics?

No party, but a slight variation...school fundraisers. My second grader brings home the catalog...because we live on ten acres and the closest subdivision is miles away, Dad gets to take the catalog to work. Now everyone feels the pressure to help out their co-worker's little kid, so they buy something. Then MOM buys several somethings, and the 7 year old "salesman" goes back to school with a hundred dollar order. He gets a prize for a job well done. Dad and Mom get gourmet candy (a dozen turtles for $15) and co-workers oooh and aaah over their over-priced trinkets.

But that is the way a party plan (personal fundraiser) is supposed to work. You invite friends who feel obligated to come and buy something...get caught up in the moment...and buy a lot. Oooopps! I didn't mean to spend the rent money on that set of waterless cookware...

> And even though you didn't INTEND to spend
> any money, thinking you'd buy the cheapest
> thing offered and get out of there...how
> much did you REALLY spend?

Too much, too many times!

The herd mentality is a very powerful sales strategy. Convince one or two in a group, and you'll likely conquer several more before the night is over...

Good to hear from you again, Gordon.

I knew you were busy doing something...

JDB

Going, going...