SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 23, 2001, 11:43 PM
Dan Butler

Default Re: Here's the problem with that Joe...

Gordon --

I said I was going to post a response to this then became sidetracked. We ran to a little town with a square not too far from here to check out a mercantile store and their quilting supplies. Then a visit to a used book store and taking my wife and daughters out to dinner. Just got back.

> Right there. The problem for many people is
> they do a lot of things well AND love to do
> them all.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is a crucial point and one that drove me nuts for many years. Some of us just have so many interests that it is very difficult to pin one down. And if you do pursue one to the exclusion of the others you begin to "miss out". Some would say your goals are out of balance - you know mental, spritual, family, work, etc. But with the multiple interests it really falls outside those classifications.

This has filtered into my life in many ways. Not the least of which is time management. The highly organized systems just don't work for more than a week or so when I try them. Some would say you just didn't apply yourself. Well -- I'm convinced it is more than that. Refer to the multiple interests and the overall way life works out. Some careers have more interruptions than others. Some things just can't be scheduled. Trying to do so just compounds the problem.

I liked Steven Covey's approach with breaking things into "roles". That was helpful. Gave me a way to mentally categorize various parts of my life.

David Allen has a book out called "Getting Things Done". At the core he uses context based lists tied to a master project list. The several months since adopting pieces of it have been my most productive in a long time.

When I perform I use a stage name. Adopting that was a huge help. Made it possible finally to put that whole area of my life into a compartment I could pick up or leave at any time.

For years it was an all consuming "role". Doing the thing I loved - became the biggest burden I had. I won't say any more - I know you understand - others still believe "do what you love the money will follow". But that is a whole other discussion. After reading your post prior to this one though I think the "multiple interests" and what I refer to in my first paragraph enter in...

> That often is the first RUT they have to
> climb out of. Picking and choosing what to
> do is not an easy thing.

Another "RUT" being the one they can fall in when other convince them they just aren't serious or have to pick *one* to the exclusion of the others.

> Those people who have not yet found what
> they do well and love to do it are the ones
> that are stuck in the rut. The action they
> need to take is to begin TODAY, where they
> are at, with what they have, and build from
> there.

I agree here except it might be easier to start from where they want to be and work backward - discovering how the varied interests can all blend together and not get lost. If you believe we do "things" because they support us in some way - then focusing on one to the exclusion of others will affect us - and not always in the way we want.

> people who are still doing the job they
> hated 5 years ago while sleeping on the
> acres of diamonds they have within.

Agree completely. And the acres of diamonds message is so relevant even in the "job they hated" environment. Just to open their eyes to what is right there will benefit so many other areas of their life. If they only knew.

> markers and red ink. Like you Joe, I disdain
> the "magic" approach.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in the "magic" approach unless it's the get mentally tuned and the world will line up at your doorstep. If so then I agree with you. Although that does play a part.

So there you go - a bit disjointed but a few loose points that "popped in" when I read your post.

Thanks for the stimulating thoughts.

-- Dan Butler

My little acre of diamonds...