SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 25, 2001, 03:12 PM
Michael S. Winicki

Default Another advantage of seeing a project through to completion...

A huge hidden advantage of actually starting a project and then marketing it to the point of knowing if it will work or not is the visibility you'll recieve.

As much as we would like to think that the world operates in a linear type way, or in other words everything is logical..."B" comes after "A" but before "C", kind of thing, in actuality it doesn't (big surprise huh?).

And many of us that really don't believe that the world operates in a linear way for most things, tend to believe it will for our projects (or business in general), which is somewhat puzzling but true.

This is a major reason why the information put out by 'guru's' doesn't work most of the time. While many factors can be explained by a guru, the actual control of those factors is usually left to random chance. Some of the factors may swing you way...sometimes they won't. But usually it only takes one factor not performing up to the guru's directions, to cause a project to fail. This doesn't mean that the information a guru provides is faulty or bad or incorrect. It is just many of the books, ebooks, audio programs and what not put out by guru's usually only measure the 'present' rather than the past which put the pieces in place for the guru to have success. The guru goes on to explain how to make their system work, but doesn't take into account the actions, opportunities and circustances of the past which made their present success possible. Not all guru's are like that...some have gone deeper to explain 'why', taking into consideration the key decisions and actions of the past that contributed to their success in the present and in turn allowed them to create a successful book, ebook or program.

Anyway, back to visibility and how it ties into the non-linear world we live in. When you complete a project and market it (either successfully or unsuccessfully) you'll start to be noticed by others that can assist you in some way. It may be a supplier, or a bank or a joint-venture partner or it may be someone that leads you to greater profits doing something totally different. This is something that you can't control, it will just happen. I've experienced this myself recently on a couple of occassions with projects that weren't successful. But becuase I was 'out there' with them it gave visibility in the market. Success or failure, I was seen by others I could help and in turn they could help me. This wouldn't have happened if I had just started a project and then put it off to the side when I realized I was going to have to spend some real money to see if it would be a profitable venture.

Are you getting any visibility? If not then you aren't pushing your projects far enough. Good things won't always be tied to the amount of profits you make.

Take Ben Suarez for example, he kept trying things, most were failures initially...but due to the visibility of him actually doing something he came across Gary Halbert...and the rest is as they say 'history'.

Take care,

Mike Winicki