SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: 53N37M
Poll Options
53N37M

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 23, 2000, 12:28 PM
Mike Rodman

Default May I interrupt???

Jason ~

I too have spoken to groups of salespeople within our company in the past. At one time in my career I was considering engagement speaking. Enough so to join Toastmasters International and eventually Charter my own group.

The hours spent attending dozens of Seminars, company sponsored as well as on my own, have been enormous. Even Nightingale/Conant had me on speed dialer I think too! There are audio cassette packages which are almost worn completely out!

Tony Robbins, Ziz Ziglar, Michael Gerber, Brian Tracy books to name a few...

I realize my opinion wasn't asked for, but this is a topic which absolutley incites me!

It is my belief the "Fear of Failure or Success" is one of the biggest excuses going. Then to top it off... Dang near every Motivational/Inspirational Speaker re-affirms it in the peoples minds by giving it a name and justifying it!

"Yes. Bob has Fear of FAILURE!!!

What malarkey!What Bob has is a lazy butt and he's not willing to do what it takes to get somewhere else. I say lose Bob!!! Hire another!!!

Not everybody is cut out to be in sales... And if they do not have the Desire to succeed, they never will. They may have the want to succeed... But we all now how much "wants" will get you.

Once I spoke in our town on this very same topic to a group of business people in our Chamber of Commerce. It was a riveting talk! Full of emotion, hand movements, facial expressions and voice inflection.

The question was asked from the group, "How do you combat the Fear of Failure???" This just allowed me to climb atop my soapbox!!! ;-)

This happens in sports and life, all the time. If you cannot finish a Marathon run... Does it mean you have a Fear of Failure??? If you cannot hit 60 homers a year like McGuire and Sosa... Does it mean you have a Fear of Success??? If you cannot qualify for a promotion... Which is it??? Fear of Success or Failure???

And if you cannot pick up the phone... Set an appointment... Close a sale... Take a check or cash on the spot... Fear of Failure or Success???

In sports... Some just cannot physically do what it takes, at that time! We need to go back and train harder for the event. And only those with a 'Core Desire' to meet those challenges... Will succeed with more intensive training. Others will never meet those challenges regardless of how hard they train. They simply, physically cannot accomplish those feats.

Same in the Mental Game of Life. Some are just not capable of mentally attaining the heights of success, like those of others around them. Still, many can achieve a high level of success with the proper training.

So to encapsulate this... Fear of Failure/Success just allows others to put a name on it, and feel better about themselves, for not achieving a goal. It's a Politically Correct way of saying it's okay to be an underachiever!

Either you get out and pay the price to achieve the level of success you want... Or you pay the price for not achieving it. Either way... A price is paid! We all know it to be true!

Some individuals are natural Leaders. Some work hard to be a Leader. Than there are those who are going to be followers. Nothing wrong with being a follower. Many of my friends and associates are!

Some individuals will create their own companies and employ hundreds of people. Still others will always work for wages. Again... Nothing wrong with that. But do we tell the wage earner they have a Fear Of Success??? NO!!!

But we tell someone who wants to be successful, but isn't... They have a Fear of Failure/Success! The simple fact is some will rise to higher levels while others simply cannot or will not.

I'd concede to you Jason I'm splitting hairs on this topic... But it just irritates me when I hear someone say, "Bob has a "Fear of Failure."

What Bob has is no desire to do what it takes!

What if someone were to take Gordon's 'Chattel Report - 12 Week Sprint to Freedom'. And never began to sprint??? Never even tried to go out and make a deal to buy something at a garage sale. Fear of Failure or Success???

Gordon made a post the other day about selling meat door-to-door! Just to see "if he still had what it takes" I'm curious... How many people are hiding behind electronic web sites because they don't want to meet people??? If you and I both told "Bob" in order to be successful he had to go sell frozen meat door-to-door. Think he would???

If he couldn't??? Fear of Failure or Success??? I'd say he's just too scared to knock on the door! He hasn't even reached Failure or Success yet!!! Cripes!!! He's scared to talk to someone!!!

And if he could talk to them but couldn't sell... I'd say he needs more sales training! But it isn't a "Fear of Anything" Jason!

You either Do or you Don't!

For too many years the Sales Industry has leaned on this crutch... Kick it out from under them I say, and either they begin to walk and run with the pack... Or fall behind, and get picked off with the old, lame and other cripples from the herd.

Fear of Failure... Sheesh!!!

Excuse me.... I need to go wash this Fear of Failure stench off... :-)

~ Mike