SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 1, 2001, 09:39 PM
Don Alm

Default $400 A DAY program

I posted the following on another forum and I thought some of the folks here might like to know about it because even though I did this in 1985...it can STILL be done TODAY...with the same numbers.

This is for people who are looking for a way to make some extra Christmas Cash without very much investment. Here tis...

Some years ago I was doing a promotion program with Video Stores. One day I'm in one of the video stores and the owner tells me he's worried about the big BlockBuster store that opened a few blocks away. He wanted me to come up with an idea that could draw some traffic to him.

I went home and put on my "thinking" cap and remembered something I had done before selling "Discount Coupon Books".

These were books of 2for1 deals and special discounts from local biznesses. The book was free to the merchants and we charged $29 to consumers.
I set up a telephone pitch room and tied in with a local radio station for promotion.

The phone girls would call consumers, explain the book and have a high school kid deliver it and collect the money.

Well...I thought..."Why not make up a
"Video Card" offering $1 off any Video for 100 Videos?....with 100 boxes around the edge that could be punched!

The Video Card would then be worth $100.

And...why not sell the Video Card for $20 to consumers?

Well...I didn't have the time to do this myself so...I called a buddy and asked if he'd be interested in selling something "door-to-door" where he could make a few hundred a day.

I explained the program and he jumped at the deal. In fact, he told me he was about ready to lose his car and was desparate for some way to make money FAST.

So...I made up some 8 x 5 cards with 100 boxes around the edges...with the video stores name prominently displayed.

I told him to go door-to-door offering a "$100 Card for $20"....and he would give me $5 for each card sold.

Well...I get the cards made up and he goes out and proceeds to sell 25 to 30 a day. Well...he wasn't quite honest with me and paid me my share the first week then came up with all kinds of excuses the next 2 weeks...then...I discovered he had moved to another town and was doing the program there.

So...because this left a "bad taste" in my mouth...I didn't pursue it. The video store guy was happy though. He DID get a bunch of people in to HIS store where he had a bunch of people "locked in for 100 Videos".

I think THIS could STILL be done. Because of the "Anti-Soliciting" laws in some towns you should check with City Hall to see if you can do this. You just might have to pay a small fee or they may want to "check to see if you have a police record...whatever".

If it were ME though...and I had to "feed my family"...or...if I needed some extra bux...I'd just go ahead and do it and let someone tell me to stop!

Get an "independent" video store owner to agree to rent videos for $1 off to people with the "Video DisCount Card". Print up some Cards....and go out and sell them for $20.

In fact...ask the Video Store Owner to pay the printing bill...which isn't much.

I KNOW "I" could sell 25 to 30 of these a day and actually...it does NOT take a "supersalesman" to do this. Just someone with enough guts to walk up to a door and knock and say...

"Hi! I'm working with "Valley Video" over on 7th. We're having a promotion where we're offering $1 off the next 100 Videos you rent. All you do is show THIS Card and you automatically get a buck off. The Card sells for $20 and you can pay with either cash or a check!"

Now...in case you're wondering about the "numbers".....meaning...if you sell 1000 Video Cards...does that mean the store will have to give a $1 off on 100,000 Video Rentals?

No Way Jose! Why? Because people forget and don't use the Card. Those that DO remember may only use it 2 or 3 times. I don't remember how many cards were redeemed but the store owner was VERY HAPPY with the amount of business that came to HIS store.

Every year I buy a "$39 Entertainment Book" full of 2 for 1 coupons and for the most part I may remember to use the thing twice.

So...there's the program. All it takes is the "gumption" to get permission from a Video Store and the "gumption" to knock on doors.

In fact...in the past, i've hired some kids to go door to door after school. I'd drive them to a neighborhood...drop them off at one corner and tell them where to meet me. A few hours from 4 to 7 can earn you a NICE chunk o change.

You COULD also tie in with a Kids Charity or with the High School Band where the band gets $4 on each Card. This makes for a better "story" to the consumers.

Send me an email if you'd like some questions answered.

Hope this helps someone.......Don Alm

Some of my UNIQUE home-based businesses