SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 11, 2006, 08:39 PM
Hugh Gaugler

Default Follow The Money . . .

Michael,

I agree with you.

I wonder why it is that there exists a class of people who believe it is their right and duty to dictate to others how they should think and act on any particular subject?

This (class of people) is the source of the scourge of so-called "political correctness" which, it seems to me, has the effect, if not the purpose, of putting people in mental straight-jackets, leaving them unable to have discriminating thoughts outside of certain defined limits . . . the definition of said "thought limits" being the sole province, of course, of those who somehow know what is best for the rest of us. The perfect profession for members of this class of people is in government or as "activists" for organizations that hold sway over government.

The problem in Madrid can be traced to this line in the article (emphasis added):

"Madrid's regional government, which is co-financing the Pasarela Cibeles, has vetoed around a third of the models who took part in last year's show because they weigh too little." [Note: The "Pasarela Cibeles" is the annual trade show for Spanish fashion designers.]

So there you have it. Take from the government, and give up some of your power of choice to "the authorities".

Take again, and give up more.

Notice that no one is concerned about the girls who have been axed from the program, and that their right to earn a living in their chosen profession has been killed "for fear of . . . " (i.e., an unproven hypothesis . . . read "someone's opinion about how they look MIGHT possibly adversely affect someone somewhere somehow").

Skinny sacrifical virgins on the alter of political correctness.

You know, when I was in grade school . . . this was back in the '50's . . . I distinctly remember one girl in my class who was overly concerned about her weight . . . and she was already thin. But guess what: That was the age of the buxom blond aka Maryln Monroe, Jane Mansfield, etc., long before Twiggie arrived on the scene ["Twiggy was the world's first supermodel: a skinny kid with the face of an angel who became an icon." --- from the web site http://www.twiggylawson.co.uk/fashion.html --- she became popular in 1966.] Could it be that this girl, herself, might have been responsible for her thoughts and actions with regard to wanting to be thin?

Could it be that all the anorexics and bulimics out there might, themselves, be responsible for their thoughts and actions?

I've noticed that one tactic some mothers use to keep their kids "safe" is to make them afraid. If a kid is made to be afraid then he/she can be controlled. It's a similar tactic used by the politically correct do-gooders: Make everyone afraid to offend. The REAL answer is to make the child . . . and each person in the society . . . able to think for themselves. Able to discriminate, if you will (in the good sense of the word).

As you pointed out, when you start allowing one class of people to dictate how everyone else should think and act on this or that subject, it is just the beginning.

One might cheer this first one, but beware the next politically correct decision . . . it just might be against something that you hold near and dear.

---- Hugh