SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 30, 2006, 01:31 AM
Lawrence

Default Part 2

Part 2

I created flyer for them that emphasized honest, friendly repair and on the reverse side there was information about how to increase a car's gas mileage. I showed it to the guys and they loved it! I told them that I would have 1000 printed for them and offered to pass out 500 to the neighborhood, while leaving the remainder for them to hand out at the shop. This, in exchange for some simple maintenance work on another vehicle of mine - they agreed.

From time to time, I would stop in to see how the guys were doing. They said that things were slow, but they knew it would take time to develop a clientele. The gas station was constantly busy with people buying gas. I noticed their stack of fliers on the counter was not any shorter than the last time I was there. I ask about that and was told that "no one was taking them."

I explained that no body would and they needed to be pro-active about handing them out. I then took a handful and went to the gas islands. I handed them out to the gas patrons and simply said: "Hi, just want to let you know that we're open now for expert auto service and repair". I did this for about 30 minutes and the response I got was very favorable with smiles and "thanks for letting them know". Most of those people didn?t even know the repair shop was there!

The first week of December, I stopped in again to say "hi". I was told that things were still slow and I noticed the stack of fliers was the same as the last time I was in there, a couple of week's prior. "John" was in the service bay working on a car, while "Pete" was in the front office. I took some fliers and invited him to join me in passing them out. He smiled, but declined. I again went out to the gas islands and handed them out with the same response of "thanks for letting us know".

I then mentioned to the guys that if they would take some fliers to other near-by non-competing auto service like body shops, window tinting, transmission, auto stereo, etc. and offer a flier or business card exchange their business info handed out in exchange for the others, that good exposure could be gained.

I got smiles and nods, but no other response.

There was a large, free standing sign at the edge of their lot that squarely faced stopped traffic waiting for the green light. This sign was from previous auto repair. It was 4 feet wide and 8 feet long with usable sign space on both sides. It was old, ugly and looked very worn, but it was there. This was early December. I suggested to the guys that this was a great opportunity for exposure and that I would look into having some vinyl slip-over panels made.

I called around and found a sign company that would make a very nice looking slip over panel with whatever ad copy we wanted for only $85. I excitedly reported back what I found (that was a great price for something of that size) and also suggested to string that sign with flashing Christmas lights to gain attention.

The copy I suggested was:

"Merry Christmas from your new auto service center

NOW OPEN for friendly, honest auto service, Always at a Nice Savings!

Stop in to say hi and received a FREE tire rotation as our Christmas gift to you!"

Their response was: "Gee, $85", I don't think we can afford that right now, since things are kind of slow!!!?

By March, 2004 they were still struggling.

Just behind them and 2 miles up the hill, was a large developing neighborhood. It was about 3 years old consisting of over 1000 homes and condos. The population was about 2500 at that time and the development was only 40% complete with building constantly going on. That's 2500 people - most with cars.

What made this development such a local business owner's dream is the association newspaper. It isn't the typical homeowner association newsletter it is a bonafide newspaper. It is the size of a newspaper, with many pages of what's going on, articles and display ads of local businesses. The cost for a 4 X 6 inch display ad, in full color, is only $60 a month and they are very professional in appearance. Smaller and larger ads are also available - even for just $35 for a 2 X 3 inch display ad.

There's a variety of businesses in there, but NO AUTO REPAIR!

I had placed ads for peephole viewer installations and that led to contracts with builders.

I showed the guys a copy of the paper and explained that this was a gold mine for them, just waiting to be tapped! I told them that I would do the ad for them for free and could get it submitted after the deadline, since I knew some of the administrative people. I also explained how viable it is to get the word out to new homeowners about local services - ESPECIALLY AUTO SERVICE. They said they would think it over. But, that's as far as it went.

I also suggested to take their flyers and distribute them door to door to all those new and constantly new moving-in-residents who would love to know about local auto service, just down the hill.

BLANK STARE!

(the most unbelieveable part)

Christmas came and went in 2004 with that same ugly sign there, going to waste.

A few weeks ago, I went to the shop for some work on one of my cars and noticed a sign on the front door that said: "No payment of gas here - see outside attendant".

The repair shop is separate from the gas station, but purchasers of gas think that's where they go to pay, instead of the little booth outside.

I asked about the sign and was told that people were "constantly coming in" - in an attempt to pay for gas. They were coming in all day long and were "disturbing them."

I even witnessed that while I was there. I suggested they give out flyers to all those potential customers and let them know that there was expert auto service there now. Also, to offer some get acquainted specials.

But by now, they were pretty disgusted with this whole thing of slow business and were more concerned with an effective sign that would keep a steady stream of potential customers away!!!

Last Monday, I stopped to buy gas and noticed that only "Pete" was there. I went to say "hi" and asked about where "John" was. "Oh, John is no longer here - he got a job at a dealer, since things were so slow for us. But, now, without him here, I'll make more money!"

What a shame, but this is not so uncommon other than these guys had so much going for them, but ignored it all.

Two friendly, likeable, honest, competent mechanics who committed business suicide for lack of the most essential skill of bringing them in and bringing them back.

Michael Gerber's, "The E-Myth Revisited" was right.

Lawrence