SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19, 2006, 08:31 PM
Don Alm

Default $3,040 Today!

Hey! I'm excited!

It's now 4:30 in the afternoon. I just got back from a SIX Sale day....like "picking up dollar bills off the street"! I went out and made some sales calls at 10:30am...took off for lunch at 11:30...went back out at 2pm and headed home at 4pm.

So...for a total of 3 hours "work"...I collected $3,040 from 6 local businesses!

With my "Tv Channel Listings" guides which are placed in Hotel Rooms.

Yesterday afternoon (Weds) I decided to put together my "Sales Pitch" for the 3 Hotels (total of $245 rooms) that have agreed to have little ol' ME provide them with my FREE "TV Channel Listings guides...which are nothing more than sheets of LAMINATED Card Stock....with the Hotel's Logo at top... the TV Listings in the middle and an ad for a Pizza Delivery biz at the bottom... on side 1....and 5 ads on side 2. (2 fast food places, 2 sit down restaurants and 1 realtor)

This was all done with about $2 worth of paper and ink (on my inkjet) and $5 to have my local copy shop laminate some Sample Sheets...a $3, 3-ring binder and 4 Top Loader Sheet Protectors (about another $1)

Just goes to show...it does NOT take "money to make money". It's ALL in... "WHAT'S ON THE PAPER!"

Allright....I will tell you 'WHY" people are paid ME $3,040 to be on MY "Sheets of Paper";

1) The 2nd most frequent call the front desk of any Hotel/Motel gets is ... "WHERE'S THE TV CHANNEL LISTINGS?" (The MOST calls come from guests asking "Where Do We Eat?")
The hotels/motels TRY to keep their "Sheets of Tv Listings" on the desks of their rooms BUT....these are usually typed on 20lb bond and most wind up getting mixed in with newspapers and other "garbage" in the room... HOWEVER, the maids in these places do not promptly replace all these "Tv Listing Sheets". (Sometimes these are laminated but, makes no difference)

Therefore...when "I" "ride up on my white horse" and show them a way to "STOP" these phone calls AND...provide MORE SERVICE to their guests....they let ME "do MY thing"!...and provide them with MY program.

2) Local eating places or businesses (like realtors and Gift Shops) can see INSTANTLY...the benefit to their businesses...of having an ad for their biz IN EVERY ROOM....THAT WILL BE REFERRED TO AND SEEN 5 to 10 Times an evening by the occupants of the rooms.

This is called "Captive Audience" advertising!

AND...couple the above with the fact their are LIMITED SPACES on my Guides...where they realize, upon seeing my samples, they had better join me NOW...because the spaces are going fast and there's not many of them!

This is one of those..."Wham-Bam-Thank-Ya-Mam!' type of deals where they know they'd better "pee or get off the pot!"....no dilly-dallying here.

So...I am able to walk into a business...find the owner...show him my samples...tell him where they are going and for how long...and how much a space will cost him (I also build in some Incentives for making an "instant" decision) and it's either Yay or Nay. I either get the OK and a check or I go to the next business.

$3,000 in a day...from a simple idea!

Granted...I don't do this every day. I don't have the energy anymore. But hey...if I do this once a week....or once a month....how bad ya doin'?...on an investment of $10?

Thanks for reading,

Don Alm

P.S. I understand that most of the viewers here would rather disect dead bodies in a CSI Lab....than make a "Sales Call" on a business....HOWEVER, when you get tired of trying to make some extra money from the internet...and "reality" sets in....you MIGHT want to consider 'selling something" to local business people...something they are willing and able to pay for...because it will benefit them. When THAT DAY comes...maybe you'll remember this post.