SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11, 2006, 12:56 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Re: And what of my Freedom and Privacy???

Ankesh,

Thanks for trying to defend your position.

By the way, nice dodge... answer what you think you can and don't answer what you cannot.

Quote:
would it be ok if they take your finger prints at the airport if everyone in the US (not just criminals) also had to submit their finger prints for records?

Let's change this question to something equally as valid...

"Would it be ok to shave your head at the airport if everyone in the country had to have their head shaved?"

And let's take it futher...

"Would it be ok to tattoo you with a number at the airport if everyone in the country had to have a number tattooed on them?"

It's the Same Question with different scenarios on it that all represent infringement upon my person.

The Propblem with using Fingerprints as ID is as I stated... they Must be on file and be accessible, insantly. And as such, each Check will be recorded.

So I fly in without a passport and let my fingerprint be scanned. The computer Instantly brings up my ID details so the Officer can see if it is me or not.

I want to buy something. I have my fingerprint scanned so the shop's computer can carry out the transaction by removing money from my account into theirs. This requires my print-file in the Master Computer be checked. Another check leaves a Footprint behind - where, when, what for.

I have Instantly LOST ALL PRIVACY. No longer can I buy something without the gummit knowing what it is, when it is and so on. My life is an Open Book to ANYONE who cares to take a look.

Quote:
I'm not saying give permission to the authorities to check your identity anytime they want... I'm saying converting paper identities to digital identities seems like a good idea.

What you need to Learn about the gummit is the Creep.

Let me show you how this works with a Real Life example...

Years ago some doink down in this country went postal and killed some people with guns. Now this Event took place in a state that had the Strictest Gun Control measures of Any state in the country. The Doink was UNlicensed - and therefore going by ALL laws of the country should Not have been able to buy a gun Anywhere. One of the guns he used had been confiscated by police in another state 6 months earlier in a raid (how this guy got it was never mentioned) and his other gun was not available to the public.

So an unlicensed guy managed to have two guns no normal Australian could have while living in a state with the toughest gun laws. As a result of the killings our country decided to Disarm the population to an extent. It banned...

ALL semi-automatic rifles of Any caliber

ALL shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than two, regardless of caliber.

New laws included...

1: Must have Valid reason for owning a gun. Self defense was NOT considered a Valid reason. Only "Member of a shooting club" or "Permission to shoot, from a landowner" is considered a Valid reason - as is Profession, with Proof to back it up of course.

2: All amunition Must be kept locked away Separate from the firearm.

3: Firearm Must be stored in disabled condition - taken apart if possible, bolt separate, etc.

4: All firearms Must be locked in a safe bolted to the floor or weighing at least 150kg

5: ALL firearm owners Must do a Safety Course

6: ALL firearms owners Must Register Their Guns - so the authorities know who has the guns and Where they are.

7: If you move, you Must inform the relevant state body Where you are moving to so they can Update the gun registry database.

8: All illegal guns - just made illegal - Must be handed in by a certain date otherwise jail time for you.

What this meant was... if a police officer had to visit you they could look up your details on their car's onboard computer to see If you had any guns, what they were, and how many - and - if anyone else in the street had guns.

During the implemtation I had Two licenses for two different states. I moved three or four times and Never updated my gun database details. I also let one of my licenses laps.

The Day After one of my licenses lapsed there was a note in the letterbox from the local police. It informed me I HAD to hand in my guns IMMEDIATELY or they would come and get them from me. I had 24 hours to respond.

I called them to speak to them about it and Asked how they found me since I had Never updated my gun details. They told me How they tracked me via my driver's license.

So as I updated my driver's license from one state to the next a couple of times, Those details were stored with my gun details. So they ALWAYS knew where the guns were.

They tracked me because of Creep. Being able to track via a driver's license was NOT part of the new gun legislation. But the powers of that legislation saw Creep take ahold.

Until your gummit decides YOU are a criminal overnight and Forcible Takes your posessions away from you, you will NOT understand on an intrinsic level why I do not Like gummits or trust them, and Why I value my privacy so much as I do. You will not understand why I am so vocal when people - like you - are so willing to think giving up privacy for an APPEARANCE of convenience is a good idea.

NOTHING that infringes upon my privacy is good. And while today it's fingerprints, it's only a Short Step to needing it for fincancial transactions as you mentioned, and then saliva swabs to enter a country and DNA matching and so on. Even fingerprinting us at school and keeping those files on record In Case we think of committing a crime - we have to protect the children will be the reason - and so on.

Look at how much privacy we have lost already in the last 30 years. And no-one notices.

While *I* cannot stop it from happening, I will certainly voice my concerns when someone else is so ready to give up My Privacy for Their Conveniece.

As it stands now with the US and their fingerprinting upon entry... I will NOT visit that country for a vacation. I've been before and Loved the place. And would equally Love to go back. But not now, because the gummit's actions tell me they do not welcome law abiding honest citizens of another country and would rather subject them to the same treatment as all criminals get. It would have to be a Very Compelling Reason for me to visit the US now. But vacations are right out.

The ONLY way I would see fingerprint IDing as being OK is...

When you get your passport you submit your fingerprint via electronic scan. When you arrive in a country you Prensent your passport and have your fingerprint scanned. The scan is cross-referenced with the data on the passport's microchip and image to Verify that it is you. And all the while your fingerprint scan is NOT kept or recorded and is instantly deleted of all computer memory.

If the Country wants to Log me in as a visitor, then I am fine with that. But I am NOT fine with having my fingerprints Recorded by the gummit of another country just so I can visit for a vacation.

Michael Ross