SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 25, 2006, 05:54 PM
MichaelRoss

Default No, They're Not...

Jim,

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
I wrote: I think there is something More Important at play than creating Systems. And that is Doing What You Enjoy.

Quote:
You wrote: I would have to argue that having systemized businesses allow me to do what I enjoy all the time. And I don't "enjoy" work.

So if understand this correctly, you are Doing What You Enjoy, right? And That is more important to you, yes? So you agree with what I wrote then. Ok.

Quote:
I wrote: Regardless of how we word it or otherwise, we all exchange our time for money. Some of us get more money for our time than others. That's just the way of things.

Quote:
You Wrote: Agreed. So, if we understand that "time is money", isn't it a smart idea to ALWAYS do what we can to systemize and fine tune things so that our time is worth more?

It is a smart idea - as long as - it remains in the relm of Doing What We Enjoy (I alluded to the "do what you enjoy" thing being Deeper than the usual Hobby jibble. And, unfortunately, it is this Deeper Understanding that could interfer with getting our respective messages across. We shall see.)

If I really enjoy my Work (work defined as "what I do for money"), then Fine Tuning it to increase the income is wise. BUT, if creating a System out of it, takes me Away from my Enjoyment Zone, then I no longer enjoy my work (my work has changed) and is not wise.

Quote:
I wrote: That being the case, it is Better to Do Something You Enjoy for money than something that Other People think well of.

Quote:
You Wrote: No, that's not really the case. I'd rather do something I enjoy WITH money instead of FOR money. With systems in place, I'm able to do that.

Are you disagreeing and therefore saying I Should do something Other People think well of? Doesn't that put me at the Whim of others people? Because I am Always then doing things they think well of?

I am sure you would rather do something With money than For money. But that doesn't negate the Fact we still need to do something For money, does it? Regardless of how Systemized your business is, you are Still doing something For money. - You even agreed to this point further up the message.

Quote:
I wrote: So While Woody COULD create a System and Keep things he previously had, he just might not want to. He may have Outgrown those things. Or just doesn't get the same Kick out of them as he used to. Or whatever Other Reason HE has. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Quote:
You wrote: Again, I would disagree. I don't see any need for me to get a kick out of the things my businesses do. When I'm out of the picture, that stuff doesn't really matter to me. Enjoying what those businesses produce for me is what I want to do.

Yes, that is YOU and Not Woody. Woody Might need to get a Kick out of something and you might not. If Woody needs that Kick to feel better or more At Ease or Enjoy his life more, then he shouldn't spend his time and effort creatinf and fine tuning systems for something he dislikes. If you don't need to feel that kick, then either you create the system and implement it, or don't, as it takes your fancy. What YOU need and what Woody need are different things.

Quote:
You wrote: "...life is 100 times easier and 100 times less stressful when your income doesn't depend on the actual hours you have to put in to get it."

I'd like to add... as long as it also gels with your self-satisfaction. There are people who Retire, who own their own home, car, and so on, and who don't depend on Hours Worked for income, who are Miserable. And others who found themselves being Miserable who then Take On Work to feel a sense of self-satisfaction action. To bring Enjoyment back into their lives.

If YOU find that self-satisfaction with your systems that is fine. But You are not Everyone. Everyone is Not you. They must do what They find Self-Satisfying and Enjoyable. Surely you aren't disagreeing with that, are you?

Michael Ross