SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 28, 2006, 11:59 AM
Don Alm

Default The same goes for "Direct Sales"

I went to Electrical Engineering School. In college, I carried a slide rule on my belt. (pre-computer age) My first job was with General Electric. My first month in my office I overheard a comment in the washroom that "I" had replaced "Ol' George" at half of George's salary....and that "Ol' George" had been "Let Out To Pasture" at the "ripe ol' age" of 52.

Then I noticed another "replacement" of a 50yr old with a guy just out of college, like me. Within 2 mos of starting my carreer I saw 5 "50 yr olds" "let go".

That's when the thought struck me; "If I work here for 30 yrs, will I also, be let go just before I get my "Vested Retirement"?

So...that's when I started spending every spare minute hunting for something I could do where "I" would be "in charge of MY destiny". This, to me meant, starting a business of some kind.

Then, one day, a few months later, I saw an ad in the Biz-Op section of the WallStreet Journal. It was for a "new-type" of Home Burglar Alarm. A "Box" that would pick up a phone, dial the operator and play a recorded message;
"Operator! There is a Burglar Alarm sounding at 1234 Main St. Please contact the Police at 555-1212! I repeat; There is...."

Now...this thing was nothing more than a fancy "answering machine" with a round rubber wheel that made contact with the dial on the rotary phone so that "O" would be dialed. A phone sat in this "Box" and when a circuit was broken a lever lifted the receiver to get a dial-tone...and the rubber wheel started turning.

This was a real "rube goldberg" thing BUT...it appealed to me. Because it was a "Home Alarm"...I could start my business and contact homeowners in the evening and on weekends....while keeping my job at GE.

I researched the market for "Home Burglar alarms" (no Google then) and found there appeared to be a "need" for HOME alarms and no one was providing a relatively low-cost home alarm....so....I sent in my $500, bought a Demo and Starter Kit....opened a bank account (with $750), printed some letterheads, envelopes, business cards, order forms....and I was in Business.

Now....the company had a "mickey-mouse" presentation and they didn't offer much help as to HOW to get appointments with homeowners...so I was pretty much left to come up with HOW to market this thing.

Up till this time I was considered an "introvert". I was NOT "assertive" or "outgoing" at all. That's one of the reasons why I chose Engineering...I did NOT have to "interact with people".

However...with my "newly chosen career" I had to find a way to get appointments.....GIVE A DEMO AND .....(Heaven's To Betsy. here comes that "word")...."SELL" my alarm system.

So....I "gritted my teeth" and got down to work. I figured that I could send a letter, introducing myself as a "Security" person and I had a New Answer to "Home Security"....and I would be calling them in a few days to make an appointment to "give them an estimate".

I would start calling around 6pm (this was pre-Can't Call List)....and the first few evenings were a disaster. Then, 3 evenings later, I started to get the "lingo" down to where I got my ACTUAL first appointment.

My first few appointments were also disastrous. I stumbled and mumbled around....scared-to-death because THIS was totally 180degrees opposite to what my personality was, at that time. I was NOT an "outgoing" person who could;
Get an Appointment
Give a Demo
Estimate the job
and
ASK FOR THE ORDER!

Then....one night about a month into my "new found career"...I gave a Demo and estimate to a dentist and lo and behold....he said;
"Let's Do It! When can you start installation?"

You coulda knocked me over with a feather. My fingers were shaking so much I could hardly write up the order. I told him I could start this Saturday.

Then...when I got home...my wife asked me, "WHO is going to do the installation?"

Gulp! I had never installed an Alarm. I had NO CLUE as to how to "run the wires". I knew what the detection devices were and how they operated BUT, where and how to "run the wires" was a complete mystery.

So...I suddenly realized I needed an "installer" to show me how to "install". I called my customer and told him I had to delay the installation for a week while I gathered the needed equipment. I then called 3 alarm companies in the yellow pages and asked them to come up to my Father-in-Laws home for an "estimate".

I wanted to see how THEY presented their program and....I was hoping I could talk one of them into "doing some SIDE WORK on weekends".

The first 2 were "slick sales guys" but the 3rd was a guy who had started his own alarm co a year ago. He KNEW HOW TO INSTALL. So, I asked him if he would be interested in helping me with MY installations.

He said, "Fine"....and I asked him to help me with my dentist's job and I was off on a new career. When we were installing the dentist's home, a neighbor came over and asked if I would give him an estimate. Which I gladly did, AND got him to give me a deposit for HIS installation.

Then...I got one of my first of thousands of "Marketing Flashes". I made up a flyer that said I was installing an Alarm System for the dentist and if they would like an estimate, to give me a call.

As I recall...I got 3 more jobs from that neighborhood and when I got my 5th job I went into my bosses office and gave him my "2-week-notice". He, my parents, my in-laws, fellow workers, friends,...ALL tried to dissuade me.

I would NOT be talked out of it. So....with a frustrated wife, 2 babies and a background in "Laboratory Work and Introverted"....I began my first business.

It was VERY SCARY...my first few weeks. BUT....I knew that if I "forced" myself to "learn How To Sell" that....even if my alarm biz didn't make it, I could still find "something to SELL". So...that began my "Learning Time". I'm STILL "Learning" Sales, Marketing and Promotion Techniques.

So...I am "living proof" that...IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BAD ENOUGH...YOU WILL FIND A WAY TO GET IT!

At my high school and college reunions....my friends were amazed at how "I Had Changed".

So....like "learning how to walk"....people CAN "Learn How To Sell"....even if they are total introverts.

And...one other thing I "learned" with my first business. I learned that I could spend all kinds of TIME...researching...checking...getting my "ducks-in-a-row"....before I started a business or project and there would STILL BE SOMETHING I MISSED....so...rather than waste the Time, stalling until starting...my philosophy has been....

GO FOR IT!

START THE THING...NOW! I can "learn-as-I-go"....I can "put-out-the-fires" as they come up because you can NEVER PLAN FOR EVERY CONTINGENCY!

And....if I want something bad enough...I can LEARN HOW TO GET IT!

Thanks for reminding me of my first biz and the opportunity to relate where "I" am coming from. Maybe someone reading this can use my experience to "get the courage" to "STEP OUT" and START a project they've been "thinking about".

I am "proof" you do NOT need to have "everything lined up" before starting... the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO.....START IT! You can "put-out-the-fires" as you go!

Don Alm