SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 29, 2002, 11:37 PM
Johnny Bravo

Default Car Screen Money

I thought I'd through my 2 cents in here as once upon a time this is how I made my living.

Here's the low down on making money from painting car screens.

The good news is...

Yes you can make really good money doing this, I use to charge $10 per screen for 10 screens, $8 for 10-30, $6 for 30-50 and $5 for 60 or more. Sounds a bit messy price wise, but it got the whole yard down and then back every week to do the cars they sold usually 5-10 depending on the yard.

May not sound like a lot per screen, but I could do 60 screens in about 3 hours, $300 for 3 hours work!! minus paint.

I would never do less than 10 screens so I always made at least $100 a day.

If you like being outdoors, it's great work and you get plenty of exercise walking around 60 cars!!

Now here's the downside.......

I could never get paid cash, always a check when I was done. Car salesmen especially the owners are some of the biggest 'screwmasters' on the planet. It's not their fault, they're use to everyone trying to screw them on price day in and day out.

It's hard work. Lots of cold calling, leaving your card and faxing, plus you're in the sun all day bending over car screens.

You have to know what you're doing and be fast, clean and good at it. It's actually hand brush signwriting and even though you don't use a sign brush, you have to know how to create lettering and numbers with a baby roller and that takes time. Time to learn and time to get good.

It's messy. Not for you, but for the detailetrs who have to clean the paint off the windows. It's not actually hard, once the paints soaking wet it slides right off, but I had my share of detailing idiots ring me, angry that they couldn't get the paint off easy and that was after I told them how!

Overall, if you're prepared to learn how to do it which will take time and you like physical outdoor work dealing with people who love the art of the sale (trying to screw people) then give it a try, the money's very good and you get to create something artistically.

I've made as much as $3000 a week doing car screens, so it is profitable. I think the worst week I ever had was about $600 and that was in January.

Johnny Bravo

TIP: If you want to make it easy, use 2" baby rollers and day-glo fluro paint with a white base and a 1/2" round black paint marker pen. Also only ever do the passenger side of the car, that's so they can still drive the thing around.