SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13, 2002, 10:22 AM
Gordon Alexander

Default Small towns, big BOOMS...

> In a nutshell, I am creating a newsletter
> focusing on small town tourism development.

Can I assume that BG is the model? or a town nearby?

In MY opinion, the newsletter would be treated as the backend to a product. I can only guess based on my SCI experience what they "might" do, but they did follow up the book with a newsletter, and the golf book with a newsletter, and the software with a newsletter...so my best guess, and if I were presenting the concept to SCI or any other marketing company, I'd probably have a PRODUCT, like the cd you mention or a video would be even better as the front end and the newsletter as the backside.

Reason? Because during the course of the newsletter subscription, the subscribers will give you valuable feedback on other products you could develop. One note, SCI did not put dates on the series, but did it in a sequential order, so ONE newsletter could have a 6 month or longer shelf life and once they were done, then it freed up the time. Say once a month, then once you hit 12 newsletters, you are done. But you could sell those for several months or even years later.

> It is geared toward small towns that might
> *like* to attract outside visitors (and
> their dollars) but don't really know how to
> do so.

This is where a MODEL would come in, my guess is that you would have to SHOW them proof. And as an aside Jim, I'd be glad to work with you on Cuyahoga Falls, OH as one such place...maybe even give you a test opportunity. Onward...

> This (hard copy) newsletter will provide
> some tools these little communities can use
> to do this: types of events they can put on
> to draw crowds; developing
> "attractions" out of already
> existing community features; how to market
> themselves; hospitality training; assessment
> & planning; etc.

I think this would be great in a video and a CD with multi-media.

> I will also have available a resource CD
> that will be a free gift with a paid
> subscription.

MY opinion, bad idea, for now. YOUR target is more institutional, they don't go for bonuses...but you'd have to test this. If it were me, I'd lose the bonuses up front.

> That is the product.

> So, to the NPGS:

> The NPGS has 4 parts:
> Prospect
> Product
> Promotion
> Media

> Prospect -- small town city halls (mayors),
> chamber of commerce offices, county
> judge-execs, others?

We are an exception here in the Falls, same mayor for 16 years...but I'd be careful about the politicians...businesses are more vested in the community, politicians go with the wind. Although you do need them in your corner, but I'd try to get to the councils and mayors and VIP's in city gov via BUSINESS. That is where their bread gets buttered anyhow.

So Chambers and Business Groups would be a primary TARGET in my opinion.

> Product -- see above

> Promotion -- A two step plan: First, to mail
> a postcard offering a free confidential
> report (title: "Seven Low Cost
> Strategies to Attract More Tourism Dollars
> to Your Small Town").

How Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio Tripled it's Tourism Dollars With Low Cost Strategies and How ________ (Bowling Green) Can do the Same.

Yours is generic...mine is PERSONALIZED. Even if it is a city or town. I would make the promotion PERSONAL to that town.

For example: Kent, Ohio is about the same size as your town, Fayetteville. In 2001 Kent was able to increase tourism by 37% with low cost strategies and Fayetteville can do the exact same thing. Here's how.

Fayetteville is blah, blah, blah...so it become personalized and shows you've done some homework on THEIR city, and what THEY NEED. What THEY want.

FOCUS on them, put the target in the bubble and see their preoccupations. How can anything generic help? But a CUSTOMIZED promotion targeted to a city stands a much better chance in my opinon.

If it were me, I'd have all the demographic information about the target and the current admin and leaders mentioned. Rather than a postcard, I'd send the same letter to multiple people in the community, the movers and shakers...and I'd price it on the high side.

This information is NOT for every town, just those that are serious about increasing tourism, bringing in more dollars and creating prosperity for it's residents. That sort of thing.

> Respondents followed up with the report and
> a sales letter for the newsletter &
> resource disk.

Who's got the time? The politicians? (Too busy kissing babies and butts). The business leaders? Too busy making money and having their butts kissed.

Now, my OPINION is just that, only testing would give you answers, but since you asked, this is how I'd go about doing it, and I can only guess what SCI might think...and I'm putting on my shoes as a former SCI Creative Marketing Professional and as a member of the NPGS evaluation team...so Jim, just keep this in the front of your mind, this is only OPINION.

> Media -- a postcard offering the above free
> report.

You could test this of course. I'd be inclined to try other things, like a video, or the AOL tested and proven technique of a CD...or a postcard that led to a website. I'd send the postcard to as many people in the community as I could locate.

The idea is to get just ONE shaker and mover to pick up the ball for you and be your advocate (read MARKETER/SALESPERSON) and get the ball rolling.

Now we've (the city of Cuyahoga Falls, OH) have spent several HUNDRED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in the last couple of years to research and development people to help us do exactly what you are talking about...let me repeat this...

[/b]HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.[/b]

> So, to my question: based on the NPGS, what
> do you think of this product and approach?

I THINK it is a good idea, one that I'd price into five figures or darn near it...

> One concern I have is the perceived value of
> a "newsletter" to this market. I
> don't relish the thought of taking on an
> ongoing publication again (been there, did
> that), but that was my initial gut opinion
> on how to package this info. I could just as
> easily create a full sized hard copy manual,
> or CD set.

I'd go with the hard copy manual, a video, a cd...and if you want UPDATES, then maybe a private web site with a forum. We used one here for the Jim Straw Study Group and it worked fine.

Bill Myers had his Idea Bank and that was fun (and profitable for Bill too)...and pricey, 1000 bux being the cost of admission to Bill's Incredibly productive brain.

So, think about an ELECTRONIC newsletter or update...and THAT can be the bonus and allows you to elevate the cost. Personally, I wouldn't price this any lower than 1500 dollars, and I think that is WAY too low. But that would be MY bottom.

> How would SCI approach and package this?
Again, I can only guess and speculate, they may try something different, I can only surmise from the 25 years of continuous success and having seen and studied practically every promotion and product they've had...as to how they might do it. But, Ben Suarez and Rod Napier are Geniuses at Marketing, so they might be light years ahead of me.

And
> how would Gordon Jay Alexander do the same?
> Any tweaking or ideas based on this skeleton
> description would be appreciated.

Well, you asked. I would make it at least a 2500 dollar project with a 1000 dollar renewal built in. I'd target PEOPLE within a given community, I'd learn and study that area...I'd offer some up-front ideas...

I'd probably do a video of the "models", and send it out to respondents of the postcard or letter. I'd probably do a personalized letter mentioning as much about the TARGET as I could, including a little history...make some comparisons to the models...dangle the carrot...make it a TIME limited thing.

Make it urgent, IMPORTANT for the city...show them that a measly 2500 dollar investment TODAY could make a huge difference tomorrow...and Jim, this may be the most important thing I would do...

I'd IMMEDIATELY form my own association (SCI has several of these, including the National Golf Association)...

Small Town Tourism Council or Small Town Tourist Association, something like that...build a web site around the association...charge at least a grand for a one year membership...and let the forum (leverage) do most of the work for you.

That is once you have a few members, they will share IDEAS of what is working, and will help you create your NEXT product.

> See what happens when you ask folks to chime
> in?

See what happens when you ask? HA!

Gordon (Mr. Cuyahoga Falls) Alexander
> Best Wishes,
> Jim Erskine
> Homeway Press