SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 9, 2002, 06:17 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Regarding aptitude tests.

I was reading the latest Seedzine and the discussion of aptitude tests brought back a few memories. Thank-you Gordon, it was a great article. I tend to agree with your assessment on aptitude tests -- that they really aren't worth the paper they are written on, because they try to classify people into groups, without taking into account the persons' drive, motivation, passions or anything else that makes him/her an individual.

I had some of those test too. Tests proved that I didn't have the aptitude to do fine work where a lot of mathematics would be involved. Yet I was an electronic technician.

Three years ago I was assessed by the Employment Insurance agency in Canada. They didn't bother to test me. I was inquiring about applying for government funding to take some IT courses. The professionals decided I did not have the aptitude to operate a computer.

Whether it is tests, family, friends or people in a position of authority, there is someone always someone around to tell you just why you can't do something. You aren't smart enough, you're too old, you're too fat, you're the wrong color, you're just too too.

You have to take a look at the source. Can a piece of paper written by a bureaucrat who pushes pencil at a desk, who has never flown an airplane -- what qualifies him to tell you that you can't? And if he does -- isn't that proof that the bureaucrat or committee or educational institutional has a closed mind on the possibility? If the mind is closed -- how can it accept new data? It doesn't. Can it be right? Absolutely not.

This is why people who are told that they will never walk again -- do indeed walk again. Why people who have had an accident and been told they will never paint again -- but do. They kept an open mind. Even though others close to them closed theirs.

If you believe the aptitude test; if you believe family and friends; if you believe institutions or anyone else on this planet that tells you "you can't" do whatever it is you want to do then you have closed your mind and it IS true.

But if you dare to open it again ... then the possibilities are endless.

That's my 2 cents,
Steve MacLellan

homebusiness-websites.com