SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 15, 2000, 09:57 AM
Mike Rodman

Default The Curvature of Technology and The Space Time Continuum

Did the heading confuse you??? It does me and I wrote It!!! Well actually it doesn't... Has every one heard of Stephen Hawkens, Einstiens Theories, or have read about time travel, worm holes, and Anti-Matter in the bottom of the Black Holes in Space??? (Check out discovery.com sometime)

Hang on I'm leading somewhere... I read entirely too much on esoteric subjects... But it's a great way to expand your mind, trying to comprehend concepts these 'Masters of our Universe' are trying to put into print.

Einstein theorized the time line of space actually curves... So therefore it should come around and reach itself someday... (the short version of the theory. Go read more about it!)

So with that in mind... I was reading an outdoor magazine I subscribe to which niches the alternative activities. Rock climbing, Snowboarding, Hardcore Mountain Biking, Kayaking, etc. All activities I persue with relish!

The editor wrote his opening piece on how advanced tecnology has become. He was pissed about laptops and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) units being carried into the backwoods. Cell phones in camp. Satellite link ups on Mt. Everest.

He was calling for a back to the basics movement. Technology he felt, was invading our lives. This guy really lambasted the technology and people who use it. (I found it ironic this magazine was next to my copy of 'Visual Basic Programmers Journal'!!!HA! He'd have dirtied his pants if he knew that!)[/i]

Well further along in the magazine was an article by a well known contributor. This guy writes for 'Outside Magazine', 'National Geographic', 'Backpacker', etc. In his article he details a 2 week long trip into the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming.

Lo and Behold!!! He states he used the internet and laptop to find maps of the area he planned to hike and downloaded them! Contacted a dozen people who left messages on bulletin boards to get advice on water, trails, snowpack, possible primitive camp sites not known to the general public!

Reserved his airfare and rental cars through the use of the internet. Even located and reserved a bed and breakfast to stay at, once they emerged from the Wilderness, to enjoy a hot bath and home cooked meals!

This writer even went on to say, he probably wouldn't have even considered the trip if not for the internet. If he were to have planned it the old way he would have had hundred dollar phone bills, unreliable information, and only a fourth of the knowledge he had with using his Internet capabilities!

According to him, it would have taken weeks and possibly months to plan this 2 week adventure. But with the 'net it was all accomplished in a weekend!

All of this in the same mag! One guy despises technology while another uses it to his advantage to enjoy the most primitive, basic of forays into one of the countries best wilderness area.

I myself have many cutting edge pieces of software. Use the internet to not only work and connect to my home office, but to generate additional cashflow with sideline projects!

I also enjoy rockclimbing, hiking and being self-reliant in the wilderness.

Has the "Curvature of Technology' reached back to the basics??? One writer has taken it to that extreme...

Like I said... I read too much. But it made me ponder where we are heading with technology, and what are we leaving behind. Even wondering "If" we are leaving anything behind, or are we slowly sneaking back up on it?

Anyway... Things we ponder while laying in bed reading in the middle of the night...

~ Mike