SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 18, 2000, 01:23 PM
Mike Rodman

Default An Answer...

Dien ~

5 paths of life Financial, Physical, Social, Mental, and Spiritual

Taken from the top of the discussion board and written about frequently by many of the top names in the field of Sales and Marketing.

Many of the products sold by Nightingale-Conant hold the same philosophies to be true... You need to have a "Balanced" life in order to become truly successful.

Why is this??? It not only holds true to physical endeavors, but your other four paths which are referred to above.

In my scenario... The Physical path is one I place a lot of emphasis on... Almost too much. Sports, competition, and outdoor activities are a serious pastime for me and my daughters.

Any active excersising, after a period of time, will release endorphines into your body. The "Natural High"! And when you feel good about yourself... It shows in other areas of your life.

You look better, feel better, become healthier, slow the aging process, and normally become more "active" in other "area's"! ;-)

If you feel bad about yourself, you will also find yourself becoming less self-confident.

Another area being "Physical" attributes to, is overcoming obstacles! If you begin by walking around the block because you can't run or jog to the corner... Imagine how confident you'll feel once you complete your first mile run! Then increase it to 2 miles and eventually you're able to tick off a 7 miler and still feel great!

Excersise, in any form, is better than none. Get out and walk! My girlfriend and I will walk down to the park together, a mile roundtrip, from her house. We'll sit and watch the fish in the creek, enjoy the people walking by and sometimes go down in the evening and sit in the dark!

Which brings me to another "Path" which should have it's own special walk and not lumped into the "Social Path". That of "Family"...

This morning I was listening to audio's in the car while driving... (We all are doing that, right???) Well, this fellow mentioned what I am about to reinforce today as well. I've posted about this on Trumps forum in the past. And that is paying attention to your spouse.

Give him or her, some special time... Take a walk to the park with them. You see... Now I take that walk with my "girlfriend" and not my Wife. Because I didn't do these things a few years ago with her. I spent my time selling, climbing and playing competitive racquetball.

The audio tape I was listening to was from a Dan Kennedy Seminar tape. He talked about becoming successful and finally obtaining your financial goals... But not having your family with you when you got there!

I did the very same thing. Not with my "Family" per se, but with my Wife. Coaching Volleyball for 6 years with my two girls, travelling to tournaments, camping out, climbing with them too. We had quality "Family Time" all together, Mom, Dad and Kids. But my wife and I never did get "Our Time" together. Always the family. Always the business. Always success. I thought she was there with me the whole way... I was wrong.

Now we're divorced, though remain good friends. She has found someone who spends time with "her". I'm happy for her.

I've found someone who shares my enthusiasm for sales and marketing. Outdoor activities and sports too. But now I also give her "Her time" as well.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm too busy or need to get some other things done... But I've been down that road before. So this weekend instead of working on my other projects... We spent time rollerblading, hiking, drinking too many beers, and dancing like nobody was watching us on Saturday night.

Everything needs to be balanced Dien... The 5 Paths... Plus your "Significant Other". Don't follow my path as it relates to Family. Don't work your day job all day long, and then sit in front of your monitor all evening.

Take a walk... But some fresh cut flowers from the store... Take a moment to buy a $1.25 greeting card and for no reason whatsoever write, "Because I love you..." within it.

I still climb, bike, hike, rollerblade, play intense racquetball and more stuff too! But I also give time to my special person too.

Whatever anyone's thinking while reading this post... I'm serious. Having lot's of cash and success is no fun unless there is someone to share it with. You may feel you're doing the right thing by striving to earn more online, or starting a new business venture... You may even feel you're doing it for your spouse and family as well! I did! But realize you're actually doing it for yourself and quit lying about it.

Please allow time for a walk, a movie, a quiet dinner, anything...

There are some of you, I wish I could slap at times about this.

Yes, Physical things are directly related to my achievements... But I would give up those same achievements to be living with my family again. 'nuff said...

~ Mike