SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 18, 2000, 05:33 PM
Diane Everroad

Default Is Mike Right?

Is Mike right?

Absolutely!!

Exercise will greatly contribute to your "Balanced" life.

>Sports, competition, and outdoor
> activities are a serious pastime for me and
> my daughters.

Why? My guess is they enjoy living life (going for the gusto), competition, and the outdoors. Most importantly, however,(other than their physical/mental health), they are creating MEMORIES.

Investment? Time,energy, and committment.
Reward? Priceless moments that money can't buy.

> Any active excersising, after a period of
> time, will release endorphines into your
> body. The "Natural High"! And when
> you feel good about yourself... It shows in
> other areas of your life.

Is Mike right again? Yes!

Almost all athletes experince a "Natural High"!

But this is what most people don't understand ... you don't have to run a mile, swim the ocean, or climb the highest mountain to get a "Natural High."

As Mike said, something as simple as going for short walks or leisurely bike rides can improve your physical, mental, and emotional health.

Most people will notice a difference by their 3rd or 4th walk, ride, etc.

Why? Are their endorphine levels rising already? No, most likely not. But their self-confidence is!! Beginning an exercise program, any exercise program, takes making a change in one's habits. And habits are a natural phenomonen (called Recipe Knowledge) which helps to make our lifes easier.

For example, have you ever noticed that almost every single morning you go through the same routine? Or, you drive to work by the same route day after day?

It's simply just easier than rethinking your "steps" each and every time. So, your mind develops "Recipe Knowledge." Which is great ... unless you have developed BAD habits.

For example: procrastination, lack of committment, making excuses, etc.

If we allow our BAD habits to control us, we have become their slaves.

When we begin to break the bad habits by taking ACTion, we are taking back our lives. And that feels GOOD!

> You look better, feel better, become
> healthier, slow the aging process, and
> normally become more "active" in
> other "area's"! ;-)

Is Mike right again? Again ... Yes!

Have you ever heard of Jack LaLanne (in 1936, at the age of 21, he opened what was one of the first modern health clubs in the US)? If so, you will be happy to know he is now 85 yrs. old. He still lifts weights, swims laps, and "power walks" ... EVERY DAY! And, he drives a red sports car ... convertible, of course. :-)

(You might want to check out his website: jacklalanne.com to see some GREAT photos of his history of fitness .)

What about Art Linkletter (Kids say the Funniest Things)? He is now 88. Every day he swims laps (twice a day), lifts 10 lb weights, goes to work from 10:00am to 2:00pm, and continues to travel worldwide.

As an interesting side note, at least to me, he doesn't need reading glasses or hearing aids, has his own teeth ... and just recently celebrated his wedding anniversary with his wife of 45 yrs.

And as a last example, what about Victoria Everroad? Well, no, I guess you don't know about her ... she is my mother-in-law. :-)

This weekend she will be celebrating her 90th birthday. She still runs her own business of 40 yrs., goes to water aerobics twice a week, plays bridge once each week, drives, shops, ... and loves to eat out.

What do each of this people have in common? They have stayed physically ACTIVE! The results: they have enjoyed their many yrs. of life (mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially) by doing so.

> If you feel bad about yourself, you will
> also find yourself becoming less
> self-confident.

Mike's right again! To be successful, you need a healthy level of self-confidence (which exercise can provide). Not too much ... or you will think you don't need anyone's help and support. And not too little ... or you will think you can't accomplish anything. But, yes, self-confidence/exercise DEFINATELY contributes to your success.

> Another area being "Physical"
> attributes to, is overcoming obstacles! If
> you begin by walking around the block
> because you can't run or jog to the
> corner... Imagine how confident you'll feel
> once you complete your first mile run! Then
> increase it to 2 miles and eventually you're
> able to tick off a 7 miler and still feel
> great!

> Excersise, in any form, is better than none.
> Get out and walk! My girlfriend and I will
> walk down to the park together, a mile
> roundtrip, from her house. We'll sit and
> watch the fish in the creek, enjoy the
> people walking by and sometimes go down in
> the evening and sit in the dark!

Again, Mike is creating memories ... this time he is doing so through easy and relaxing exercises ... simply going for a walk to the park.

Well, I guess I have said enough. But listen to Mike. Why? Because he is RIGHT!!

Diane

What Makes This Book Different? It WORKS!!