SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19, 2000, 01:16 PM
Amber Sorenson

Default Choices...

Dien,

Just reflecting a bit...

I noticed the word 'choice' that you used in your post above and it always impacts me deeply when I come across that word.

Isn't the idea of 'choice' a tremendously powerful thing? I really like that word - choice.
Love it as a matter of fact...if it is ok to love a word. :)

At every cross-road and turning point in my life ...and through every tragic event, just knowing that I had a choice in even the most dire of situations has always been mighty empowering.

I read a book entitled CHOICES many years ago. Actually I think that there have been many books by that same title. It really opened my eyes... a lot - and I've had a new respect for it's meaning ever since.

After all, it's not about what happens TO you, but what you decide to do about it (involving choice) that makes it more possible to successfully overcome adversity.

The *best* choices should be the cornerstone of every decision we make. But I wonder how many people are impulsive in their choices and make them in haste and without considering the long term consequences of their choices - and later...not wanting to take full responsibility for the choices that they made. Instead, it's so easy to just shrugg off the bad choices - blaming others for being bad influences on our choices - parents, spouses, friends, etc. Not *owning* our choices.

In all the seemingly little choices that we make daily, shouldn't we always be mindful that all of them - dare I say all? - contribute to creating our character. Even the choice to spend a few minutes exercising for the sake of our health and well-being is important. And the yummy endorphins that we can derive from that exercise may even help us to make better choices. Well, maybe. :)

Yet, I don't think that it is ever impossible to overcome making bad choices. That would result in the loss of hope. And hope is so important.

We are evolving throughout our lifetimes. It is always possible to change our choices to improve our lives. In our youth, we may not always know what is best for us. Since we are only human, we may make a few really dumb decisions on the way to growing up and maturing.

But when a person becomes fully conscious of the understanding of the idea that he/she really, really DOES have choices in life, won't it very likely be the real *key* to a more successful destiny. (habits > character > destiny)

I admire parents who attempt to do their best to create an environment for their children where they can thrive. Parents, by serving as good role models, can help to condition children to make good choices. Or maybe not. I've seen just the opposite prove true as well.

But what really impresses me are the children who come out of broken homes and living on the streets and without any parental guidance or nurturing...but who somehow manage to overcome the odds and to triumph in spite of their circumstances. Wow. Those are the truly special people to admire.

I wonder if the power of the belief or realization that they had 'choices' in life is what gave them the impetus to rise above it all -and to become the best possible specimens of human beings that they could?

For many years, I have frequently heard that resiliency is important to our mental/emotional health. Supposedly resilient people always believe that they have 'choices' and are thus more likely to bounce back after various life 'shocks' or hardships.

Becoming more resilient seems to be something to strive for.

Well, choice is my 'word of the day' today to contemplate and to really develop an ongoing and even deeper appreciation for. Believing in the potentially liberating power of choices can certainly help to free us from our own 'personal prisons' that WE create in our minds which contribute to keeping some of us bound and chained to a less than potent life.

*Choice*...I like what that word represents!

~ Amber