SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 20, 2000, 08:30 PM
Gordon Alexander

Default Lesson 5 the Mental File of Experiences.

Here is the FILING cabinet of experiences.

Note the file cabinent of Experiences...Pain...Pleasure...Neutral.

Note how hard it is to RECALL the mundane experiences, the neutral ones.

How EASY it is to recall bad memories, especially with people, those EMOTIONS create deep neural paths.

For many people the most important thing is that little blurp under the file...you CAN move from one to another.

Some call this reframing, I prefer to refile.

OK, you have strong NEGATIVE memories of an event or of a person from your past.

You may have been traumatized, and I don't want to treat that lightly...and professional help is warranted.

For most people these experiences get put deep into the file, pushed way to the back, where you see the subconscious mind lurks.

Now what happens when you are under stress, when an incident sets off certain feelings?

Those hidden memories leap out of that file like a jack in the box, scaring the dickens out of you and bringing old HABITS to the surface.

What you can do is to move those files, make them neutral. Through rationale thought.

I am amazed at how many people hang onto that 9 year old. He/she got yelled at, got into trouble, or was just mistreated. And it created a real mental scar.

As an adult you look at the pictogrigm of past experiences (tomorrow) and SEE where and who put the beliefs into your mind.

Would you personally blame some 9 year old for making your life miserable.

"When I was a child, I acted as a child..."

Don't get the wrong impression, it isn't always easy...may be very hard. But what the Pictogrigm shows you is that it can be done.

Why do all the gurus tell you to think positive thoughts?

What really is the power of positive thinking? It is your ability to create deeper neural pathways than the negative ones...and when you are in a positive frame of mind, especially during laughter and sex (I always hate it when they start laughing...before we even get started)...

there is a relese in the brain of certain neurotransmitters that excite the sympathetic nervous system...and keep you in a "protective" state.

It is near impossible to come under "attack" at the cellular level under these conditions.

On your personal pictogrigm you want to go back and put + or - signs (positive of negative on certain times in your past.

DON'T dwell, do it matter of fact, you don't want to fire off those neural paths, you just want to remember the main event...without emotion if at all possible.

What happens is you now SEE things differently.

When your mother questioned your choice of boyfriends. When you father put you down in front of friends. Or when they did something to make you feel good.

Remember little successes, when you got the job you applied (I know, now you hate it, but back then you were excited...some of you)

What we'll be doing in the next few days is building upon your successes and you have had some, maybe many.

As we complete the PICTURE of the way you are TODAY.

You will begin to see possibility. You may notice something on your personal pictogrigm that is sticking out...it could be a

OHHHHHH Now I get it.

I carry around a little scene from Junior High school where one of the most popular girls said something "negative" about me. I was traumatized. It literally changed the course of my life.

After 30 years, and she was in town, I confronted her.

She said something like, What are you talking about I had a huge crush on you...(yea they all say that 30 years later)...but she went on to tell me things.

All this time, I thought because of ONE moment when a little toad came out of her very popular and pretty little mouth...that it was the gospel according to Sill Jr. High School.

How silly I felt. But the IMPACT at the time was huge. I saw how it effected my behavior for years, how I got really shy and self conscious because I held her opinion as the FINAL word on who I was and what I was all about.

I've found that most of us are able to go very far back into our childhood and come up with these kinds of events...and we torture ourselves over something some kid said a long time ago.

Something they don't even remember, something that was totally insignificant to them, but had a HUGE meaning to us.

These are often the little monsters in the back of that file, deep within our subconscious...that need to get swept into the neutral or better yet, made into a positive memory with possible.

Hey, if she would have been nice to me, I may never have left this City, and wouldn't of had my adventures. I OWE her.

If I thought more of myself, I might have stayed around, and I never would have met some the greatest loves of my life...

Thank you Carolyn wherever you are for calling me "weird"...

that's all it took. And I was crushed.

Call me weird today, I'd have to agree and thank you.

OK, enough of what is on my pictogrigm do your own.

I'm going to try to get the Spiritual Path done too.

Gordon "Mr. Weird" Alexander

PS. "Memories....(You Babs fans can sing along) like the ....