SOWPub Small Business Forums  
 

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

 

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 14, 2022, 05:35 PM
Dico Dico is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 1
Default SEO and its importance

Importance of SEO in the digital world

You can find what youíre looking for on Google in just a few seconds. It is because a search engine algorithm considers hundreds of factors when determining what will appear at the top of its results page, including the content of your web pages and how many other sites link to yours.

If you want to be found online, ensuring your website is optimized for search engines makes sense. It means adding keywords that people are likely to use when searching for something similar to what your business offers; using meta tags (keywords and descriptions) that accurately describe what your site is about, and making sure that everything on your site loads quickly so users donít get frustrated waiting for pages to load before they can read them.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 16, 2022, 05:07 AM
Dien Rice Dien Rice is offline
Onwards and upwards!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,218
Default The danger with SEO...

Hi Dico,

SEO ("search engine optimization") is not necessarily easy... and the problem with it, as I see it, is that it keeps changing...

Every now and then Google updates its algorithm. When it does so, some people find their websites drop a lot in ranking. Some even disappear from Google completely!

I have friends (who are a married couple) who were making a good living from their website... They are retirees, and did reviews of online games. They were getting good Google rankings, and making decent money from ads on their website, and also from game sales...

Suddenly, the Google Panda algorithm update hit! (This was in 2011.)

All of a sudden, their website dropped completely out of the Google rankings!

Their traffic went overnight to virtually zero...

As that was their only way of getting customers - their income dropped to zero instantly too!

They never recovered. In an instant, their business was wiped out...

I'm not saying not to do SEO... But, if you're relying on SEO for new customers, make sure you have other ways of getting customers too - just in case!

By the way, I have no connection with this channel, but I occasionally watch videos from the "Let's Talk SEO" channel on YouTube, to find out what's going on...

https://www.youtube.com/c/LetsTalkSEO/videos

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dico View Post
Importance of SEO in the digital world

You can find what you’re looking for on Google in just a few seconds. It is because a search engine algorithm considers hundreds of factors when determining what will appear at the top of its results page, including the content of your web pages and how many other sites link to yours.

If you want to be found online, ensuring your website is optimized for search engines makes sense. It means adding keywords that people are likely to use when searching for something similar to what your business offers; using meta tags (keywords and descriptions) that accurately describe what your site is about, and making sure that everything on your site loads quickly so users don’t get frustrated waiting for pages to load before they can read them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 16, 2022, 11:37 AM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,315
Default Algorithm free money making.

Guess what Chicken butt...buying and selling chattel doesn't rely on Google, Bing, Youtube, or anything else.
b
Online platforms make it easier, much faster, and Facebook marketplace is like manna from heaven for chattelers, and never has there been a slap down, and today, for anyone who wants cash in their pocket today...and there is no limit to the amount...

Well, it is hard to beat buying and selling stuff.

I'm about to buy an electric bike, may take my little Go camera around town.

Anyhow, SEO, like Copywriting...are necessities for those selling products/services which need them.

The loudest proponents re those selling SEO and copy writing services, are those people selling these services.

One can be quiet and make money just by buying over here, and selling over there. SWEET.

How do you like em apples SEO?

Gordon


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Dico,

SEO ("search engine optimization") is not necessarily easy... and the problem with it, as I see it, is that it keeps changing...

Every now and then Google updates its algorithm. When it does so, some people find their websites drop a lot in ranking. Some even disappear from Google completely!

I have friends (who are a married couple) who were making a good living from their website... They are retirees, and did reviews of online games. They were getting good Google rankings, and making decent money from ads on their website, and also from game sales...

Suddenly, the Google Panda algorithm update hit! (This was in 2011.)

All of a sudden, their website dropped completely out of the Google rankings!

Their traffic went overnight to virtually zero...

As that was their only way of getting customers - their income dropped to zero instantly too!

They never recovered. In an instant, their business was wiped out...

I'm not saying not to do SEO... But, if you're relying on SEO for new customers, make sure you have other ways of getting customers too - just in case!

By the way, I have no connection with this channel, but I occasionally watch videos from the "Let's Talk SEO" channel on YouTube, to find out what's going on...

https://www.youtube.com/c/LetsTalkSEO/videos

Best wishes,

Dien
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 16, 2022, 02:12 PM
trevord92 trevord92 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 35
Default Re: SEO - a waiting game

Thanks Gordon. Definitely agree - been there, done that with the whims of Google's algorithm. When it works in your favour, it's great. When it decides it doesn't like you, it's not good.

It's estimated that Booking.com and Expedia give Google just shy of $3 billion a year in advertising. Not to mention the amount they spend on TV.

eBay and Amazon spend lots as well - riding on their back is good and reasonably predictable, certainly much more so than hoping SEO will get you noticed (even if you've got the patience to wait months or years for it to take effect).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 18, 2022, 01:43 PM
Tino Tino is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 1
Default Re: SEO and its importance

I've been lurking a while here till I decided to register. In fact, I've never thought such topics are discussed on this forum.
Let's imagine you are an entrepreneur and have recently created a website to promote products or simply share your thoughts/ideas. It doesn't matter the aims that lead to website creation you will need on-page and off page seo services to increase visibility and traffic. An SEO specialist will start by building a strategy based on the website's flaws. The SEO strategy includes keyword research, metadata, technical SEO, and backlinks.
All in all, SEO is the most essential tool to succeed in today’s digital world.

Last edited by Tino : September 18, 2022 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 18, 2022, 02:15 PM
GordonJ's Avatar
GordonJ GordonJ is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 3,315
Default To all the lurkers, we welcome discussion on any subject...with a couple of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
I've been lurking a while here till I decided to register. In fact, I've never thought such topics are discussed on this forum.
Let's imagine you are an entrepreneur and have recently created a website to promote products or simply share your thoughts/ideas. It doesn't matter the aims that lead to website creation you will need on-page and off page seo services to increase visibility and traffic. An SEO specialist will start by building a strategy based on the website's flaws. The SEO strategy includes keyword research, metadata, technical SEO, and backlinks.
All in all, SEO is the most essential tool to succeed in todayís digital world.

Exceptions are religion and politics, other than that, any member is welcome to start a non promotional thread, and there are experts here, who for the most part remain in the shadows, like New Jersey Vampires (great show)...

Dien and I like to stay in our lanes, although his are much wider than mine, so he has more technology/science under his belt, and can certainly talk of SEO.

MY lane is, in your example, I would argue it DOES matter, a LOT; the reason for creating the site.

If selling. Anything. Then I go back to the reason why that is chosen, and this is where many Entrepreneurs make their first big mistake.

Now there is a really good discussion on SEO, at Warrior Forum and of course, if you are in the business, and making your dough offering SEO services, you will find a huge and ready to buy marketplace.

You will also find you're a commodity, and not a very expensive one.

So, it does matter the reason why you build your website, and IF you need SEO, then of course, you need to find expertise to help with that.

I say, there may be better options, where the Entrepreneur does not need it because of the wiser choice made at the beginning.

Gordon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Other recent posts on the forum...


Seeds of Wisdom Publishing (front page) | Seeds of Wisdom Business forum | Seeds of Wisdom Original Business Forum (Archive) | Hidden Unusual Business Ideas Newsletter | Hotsheet Profits | Persuade via Remote Influence | Affia Band | The Entrepreneur's Hotsheet | The SeedZine (Entrepreneurial Ezine)

Get the report on Harvey Brody's Answers to a Question-Oriented-Person


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.