SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 20, 2017, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Default Top 7 Evergreen Markets for your APV or active sites.

I advise most people who inquire to consider an ACTIVE site and one year of product development and blogging.

At the end of the year, you have a well stocked blog, an active site, gotten some members on your lists and, hopefully, have sold several reports.

Remember, I had this forum for 17 years, a couple of blogs and heavy participation in other forums too. So, although today I am all about set it and forget it APV sites, it took me some time to get to this point.

Also, I came on the brand new WWW at the beginning and had an early in with several marketers via my writing for Ben Suarez and the NPGS UPDATE HOTLINE.

YOU? I don't know what you want. But I do know if you want to build your own information Empire, an active site, like a blog, would suit you better for the long run. Sure, one report could catch fire like it did for The Boz and you pick up several thousand bux in a couple of weeks, but for the average joe or beginner, that is pretty rare, unless they have a well thought out plan.

It has been almost 25 years since I wrote about the PARADE OF LIFE in the original Chattel Report, The Sprint to Freedom.

In the 2017 revised APV report, there are dozens of ideas on what to write about.

Here are 7 of the top EVERGREEN, Parade of Life, topics which are always in demand and you can build a family of products around one or all, if you are overly ambitious.

In random order:

ONE: Making money. Good golly Molly. It is as Evergreen as green gets. There is an endless parade, which moves pretty rapidly, and they are always looking for money making ideas. We've built this place and a great deal of our information products are in this evergreen market.

TWO: Health. Dien and I have had our share of health problems in the last 17 years, if I have any regrets with my Information, it has to do with not cashing in on the health markets. Today, I encourage people to look within their own families to see health problems, and to share the experience and create a family of products along those lines.

THREE: Food. Just back from two bookstores (yea, they still exist)...and the largest section by far, COOKING. Another of my areas of expertise I neglected over the years. But, you? If you like to eat, consider a family of products in the gigantic food industry.

FOUR: SEX. Or call it relationships, or attraction, or even getting laid. Millions have been made from these niches within the SEX market.

FIVE: HAPPINESS. I don't know how to define it, but I do know millions of people seek it, and spend money searching for it. Great cults have been formed by gurus in this niche, like, Wayne Dyer, Gary Zukav, Eckhart Tolle, Matthieu Ricard, Marrianne Williamson, etc., etc.

Had I been a bit more public, I probably would have started my own cult along these lines.

SIX: PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT. You just ain't good enough. So work on YOU. I guess that is a built in thing. One of my last conversations with Melvin Powers, I asked if he still held the opinion that SELF HELP is a good starting point for a would be publisher, he said, "ABSOLUTELY!!"

SEVEN: SPIRITUAL and/or Entertainment. Some of you might place spirituality in with the Happiness and Personal Development. Whatever you want works for me. I think of main stream religion, which may actually have something to do with spiritual things, but I'm more inclined to stick it it with escapism/entertainment. Movies, TV, books, Podcasts, Radio...and religions all are forms of escapism.

So there you have 7 great Evergreen Topics, and each one could easily produce a family of products for you to plug into your APV sites.

You probably should start an ACTIVE/dynamic web site, with blog or forum, or even a Facebook page and build up for a year, adding at least one, and preferably two Reports a month.

OR, if you have a HOT topic, you don't need to spend more than 30 days getting your APV to the market.

Any questions?

www.writerstollbooth.com/apv2017.pdf

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : April 20, 2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Top 7 Evergreen Markets for your APV or active sites.

Gordon,

Somehow the link in your post (http://www.writerstollbooth.com/apv2017.pdf) takes us to: http://www.writerstollbooth.com/2017apv.pdf which results in a "404 Not found" error.

Roger
Old April 20, 2017, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Top 7 Evergreen Markets for your APV or active sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgrPett View Post
Gordon,

Somehow the link in your post (http://www.writerstollbooth.com/apv2017.pdf) takes us to: http://www.writerstollbooth.com/2017apv.pdf which results in a "404 Not found" error.

Roger
Thanks Roger, I redid it. Seems to work now. Damn Russian hackers (or more likely, I probably did something wrong.

GJA
Old April 21, 2017, 02:22 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Great list of evergreen markets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Here are 7 of the top EVERGREEN, Parade of Life, topics which are always in demand and you can build a family of products around one or all, if you are overly ambitious.

In random order:

ONE: Making money. Good golly Molly. It is as Evergreen as green gets. There is an endless parade, which moves pretty rapidly, and they are always looking for money making ideas. We've built this place and a great deal of our information products are in this evergreen market.

TWO: Health. Dien and I have had our share of health problems in the last 17 years, if I have any regrets with my Information, it has to do with not cashing in on the health markets. Today, I encourage people to look within their own families to see health problems, and to share the experience and create a family of products along those lines.

THREE: Food. Just back from two bookstores (yea, they still exist)...and the largest section by far, COOKING. Another of my areas of expertise I neglected over the years. But, you? If you like to eat, consider a family of products in the gigantic food industry.

FOUR: SEX. Or call it relationships, or attraction, or even getting laid. Millions have been made from these niches within the SEX market.

FIVE: HAPPINESS. I don't know how to define it, but I do know millions of people seek it, and spend money searching for it. Great cults have been formed by gurus in this niche, like, Wayne Dyer, Gary Zukav, Eckhart Tolle, Matthieu Ricard, Marrianne Williamson, etc., etc.

Had I been a bit more public, I probably would have started my own cult along these lines.

SIX: PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT. You just ain't good enough. So work on YOU. I guess that is a built in thing. One of my last conversations with Melvin Powers, I asked if he still held the opinion that SELF HELP is a good starting point for a would be publisher, he said, "ABSOLUTELY!!"

SEVEN: SPIRITUAL and/or Entertainment. Some of you might place spirituality in with the Happiness and Personal Development. Whatever you want works for me. I think of main stream religion, which may actually have something to do with spiritual things, but I'm more inclined to stick it it with escapism/entertainment. Movies, TV, books, Podcasts, Radio...and religions all are forms of escapism.

So there you have 7 great Evergreen Topics, and each one could easily produce a family of products for you to plug into your APV sites.

You probably should start an ACTIVE/dynamic web site, with blog or forum, or even a Facebook page and build up for a year, adding at least one, and preferably two Reports a month.

OR, if you have a HOT topic, you don't need to spend more than 30 days getting your APV to the market.

Any questions?

www.writerstollbooth.com/apv2017.pdf

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Great (and valuable) list!

Many people wonder... What can I write about?

The reality is, many people have a lot of kinds of "expertise" to share, which can help other people with their lives or their businesses...

I've bought books in every category above... Except maybe the food/cooking category (I'm not much of a chef)!

However, I was listening to the radio a couple days ago, where they were talking about how every celebrity seems to be coming out with a cookbook... Cookbooks are hot, now, probably because of all those competitive cooking shows that rate through the roof...

Once you have one product, of course, you can build on it... With more products.

Evergreen products can be written once, and sold for years... In some cases, decades.

"How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie was first published 81 years ago (in 1936), and is still selling strong today. It seems that "How To Win Friends and Influence People" is one of those evergreen topics!

There are different ways to plan how you want to do the business...

1. Create essentially one product, and that's it.
2. Create one product, then expand it into a series, which could also include other products, courses, trainings, consultations, and so on...
3. Create a serial type of publication, where people subscribe and get updates, whether as a newsletter-type of model, or as a membership website type of model...
4. A products plus serial type of publication model... Where you have standalone products, along with a serial product as well...

It's generally cheaper and easier to sell a second item to an existing customer, than to acquire a new customer. So building on your products to sell to your existing customers is perhaps a more solid way to keep expanding your income...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 21, 2017, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default Maybe we need a couple of 101 type Biz courses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

The reality is, many people have a lot of kinds of "expertise" to share, which can help other people with their lives or their businesses...

I've bought books in every category above... Except maybe the food/cooking category (I'm not much of a chef)!

However, I was listening to the radio a couple days ago, where they were talking about how every celebrity seems to be coming out with a cookbook... Cookbooks are hot, now, probably because of all those competitive cooking shows that rate through the roof...

Once you have one product, of course, you can build on it... With more products.

Evergreen products can be written once, and sold for years... In some cases, decades.

"How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie was first published 81 years ago (in 1936), and is still selling strong today. It seems that "How To Win Friends and Influence People" is one of those evergreen topics!

2. Create one product, then expand it into a series, which could also include other products, courses, trainings, consultations, and so on...
3. Create a serial type of publication, where people subscribe and get updates, whether as a newsletter-type of model, or as a membership website type of model...
4. A products plus serial type of publication model... Where you have standalone products, along with a serial product as well...

It's generally cheaper and easier to sell a second item to an existing customer, than to acquire a new customer. So building on your products to sell to your existing customers is perhaps a more solid way to keep expanding your income...

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien,

It occurs to me, and my email reflects this, we have a lot of newer players in our forum, and many new to business. I highlighted a typical and generally well known business 'fact'. But we don't see any basic education that proves these things.

I find a general lack of basic business 101 type stuff to be a detriment to many would be Entrepreneurs.

Maybe we should contact Ben Suarez and get permission to post and discuss some of these basics he has in 7 Steps to Freedom II-How to Escape the American Rat Race.

Or we can just do our own version. Business analytics isn't the glam part, but essential to know and understand things like:

Customer Acquisition and Lifetime Value
point of diminishing returns on promotions
accounting and bookkeeping
legal and contracts

Now, I say this knowing and actually teaching the two money making concepts which most want

a business OR
just making some dang money

One doesn't need the first for the latter.

Gordon
Old April 21, 2017, 09:33 AM

Lightbulb It may be strange to some...

...but that has to be one of the key lessons I've learned from this forum:

You don't need the bog down of the so-called "start-up" to achieve your financial goals.

Fly-Low operations are certainly not as "sexy" as the typical venture-funded outfit.

That's probably why the press will gravitate towards headlines like "VC splashes yet another $5.7b on newest innovative start-up"

Thank GOD I discovered this place

Quote:
Now, I say this knowing and actually teaching the two money making concepts which most want

a business OR
just making some dang money

One doesn't need the first for the latter.

Gordon
Old April 21, 2017, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default MORE. EVERGREEN markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Best wishes,

Dien

I lost a long post, and it frustrates me, so here, a list without commentary:

Plans. woodworking, craft
Patterns. quilts, clothing
collectibles
commemorative
philatelist
numismatics

all evergreen. All profitable or could be.

Lots of others.

Gordon
Old April 21, 2017, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Well...it's not very original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
...but that has to be one of the key lessons I've learned from this forum:

You don't need the bog down of the so-called "start-up" to achieve your financial goals.

Fly-Low operations are certainly not as "sexy" as the typical venture-funded outfit.

That's probably why the press will gravitate towards headlines like "VC splashes yet another $5.7b on newest innovative start-up"

Thank GOD I discovered this place

I like Dan Kennedy's work, he has long advocated a one person start-up (if that is what you want) to cost no more than a 1000 bux to get to proof of concept.

Some people think bigger, they want to build something huge, and in between there is a wide spectrum of choices of what a person wants to do.

We here at Fly Low Central, for the most part, prefer control and time over slop and mess. With millions and billions flying around, you can count on a lot of slop and mess.

Some, like Zuckerberg have an idea and it goes way beyond what they thought. Others, like Jobs, planned for becoming big.

So. we appreciate all Entrepreneurship, big and small.

Today, leveraging the Internet, the costs are so low to test, and the markets so huge, it is pretty, pretty, easy to carve out a piece of whatever pie delights.

We are a small potatoes forum, and we're OK with that. TIME is a big factor in our decisions to remain 'under the radar'.

GordonJ
Old April 25, 2017, 03:29 AM

Lightbulb Now THAT's a "guru" I respect...

Quote:
I like Dan Kennedy's work, he has long advocated a one person start-up (if that is what you want) to cost no more than a 1000 bux to get to proof of concept.

GordonJ

I highly recommend Dan Kennedy's How to Make Millions With Your Ideas.

If I may share an "educational failure", I got that book 15 years ago. I've mutilated my copy with notes, highlighted entire sections and so on.

And yet ... I think it's just now that I see how much I'm yet to mine in that book.

Sure, I did try a few ideas here and there, but with the Internet and its seducing siren call, I quickly moved on to other "newer" opportunities. Never focusing on FUNDAMENTALS

Or like GordonJ may say, no FRAMEWORK.

When I look back all the wheel-spinning I've done over the years, I see that people need more than anything else MENTORS.

Mentors can provide the guidance and FOCUS needed to succeed. It's even more necessary now in today's very noisy world.

I'm glad I've finally gotten that off my chest...
Old April 25, 2017, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default Maybe a mentor, maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
I highly recommend Dan Kennedy's How to Make Millions With Your Ideas.

If I may share an "educational failure", I got that book 15 years ago. I've mutilated my copy with notes, highlighted entire sections and so on.

And yet ... I think it's just now that I see how much I'm yet to mine in that book.

Sure, I did try a few ideas here and there, but with the Internet and its seducing siren call, I quickly moved on to other "newer" opportunities. Never focusing on FUNDAMENTALS

Or like GordonJ may say, no FRAMEWORK.

When I look back all the wheel-spinning I've done over the years, I see that people need more than anything else MENTORS.

Mentors can provide the guidance and FOCUS needed to succeed. It's even more necessary now in today's very noisy world.

I'm glad I've finally gotten that off my chest...

Thank you for sharing. And I'm sad to say, your story is not unique. In fact, I'd say it is pretty common. Which is why I harp on it so much.

Goals. Plans. Activity. Solving Problems In the Direction Of your Goals, SPIDOG.

Knowing what you want. And why. The hard mental work of thinking through projects before you start them.

I do think Mentors help, a lot. But, I've known many self made successes who didn't have them, but guess what they did have?

A want.
A desire.
ACTION toward what they wanted.
ADJUSTMENT of action.
Perseverance.
Enjoyment of the day.
Problem solving

Yes, a mentor is a good thing to have, mentors are even better giving one a broader perspective of methods and strategies.

Spinning wheels, bog down, mess and slop, hit and miss, start up/shut down, flitting from idea to idea, shiny objects, latest and greatest, FEW of us are immune, and most of us are guilty...

And sometimes we have to go through that to get to final product of who and what we want to be.

One mentor, Harvey Brody, had employees, and found out he did just as well without them.

So, unpinkpanther, are you ready to "settle down" and FOCUS on your next? Hope so.

Gordon