SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29, 2002, 12:54 AM
Don Alm

Default For all you "Non-Sales" people......

Here's a technique you can try that "might" get you past your "shyness".

A buddy called me one day and asked me to accompany him to a plant on the south side of Chicago.

This company was making a Water Purifier that sat on the sink. You'd run water thru it to get "Pure, Filtered" water. (I think it had charcoal in it)

My pal wanted me to consider buying a bunch of these and trying to "sell them door to door to homeowners".

After some checking, I was assured the units were of good quality and pulled my buddy aside and asked him how he had planned on selling them.

He told me he wanted to go door-to-door...give a pitch on the benefits of filtered water...give a price and offer a discount IF they bought right now!

I told him I had a better idea;
We would "Puppy-Dog" these things!

We bought 144 units (a gross) and that eve I put together our "pitch"...which was..."Hello Mam, we're introducing our Super Water Filter in this area. This unit will remove the chlorine taste...etc"...more benefits as to WHY this woman should have this unit in her home.

And I would finish by saying, "And...to show you how much I believe this unit will do what I say it will do...I WOULD LIKE TO LEAVE THE UNIT WITH YOU FOR 1 WEEK...AT NO CHARGE OR OBLIGATION! May I hook it up and show you how it operates?"

I left the unit and came back the next week FOR THE MONEY!

Granted...we didn't sell 100%...but I'll bet we sold over 80% of those we placed.

We did the same thing with Bars & Retsaurants.

The "Puppy Dog"!

Just like a puppy. Puppies are so cute and cudly, you DON'T want to give them back after you've had one for a few days. They GROW on you.

So...you could try selling your Drill Bits via the "Puppy Dog" technique by leaving the bits and returning in a week to collect.

There's LOTS of items you could "puppy-dog".

Only drawback is you have to buy a batch of units and wait a week to get paid.

Food for thought.

Thanks for reading.....Don Alm

$800 A Day Renewing Wood Decks!