SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 7, 2000, 03:31 PM
Richard Dennis

Default Marketing: The Little Things

“In 1814, we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson, down the mighty Mississip
Took a little bacon and we took a little beans
Went to meet the British in the town of New Orleans.”

“The Battle of New Orleans”
sung by Johnny Horton (my apologies, Johnny, I’m sure the right words are better than the ones I remember)

That was a popular song for teenaged boys when I was in high school, a few years before anyone heard of Vietnam.

For years, New Orleans has been on Cheryl’s list of places to visit. She’s read magazine articles about “Breakfast at Brennan’s,” supposedly a unique dining experience.

This past weekend, we found out that it is.

Question: How do I know when I’m in over my head?
Answer: When I look up and notice our breakfast waiter is wearing a tuxedo.

When I was handed the wine list (at BREAKFAST, for goodness’ sake!), I thought of Mike Rodman.

The eggs were very good, but they were still just poached eggs. Ten bucks an egg seems a bit high. And then there was the Bananas Foster. And then the crepes Fitzgerald. And then … well, you get the idea.

Thank God for plastic.

Cheryl highly recommends Brennan’s to everybody, and it certainly is both an eating and a marketing experience. They focus on all the little things.

And then they add them to your bill. I’ve bought some pretty good marketing courses for less.

But I must admit, I ate every last bite.

Next, we took a van tour with 3 other couples, from Pennsylvania, California, and U.K.

“We fired our guns and the British kep’ a’comin’.
Wasn’t nigh as many as there was awhile ago.
Fired once more, and they commenced to runnin’
Down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.”

History tells us (and, of course, the victors write the history) the British suffered 2000 casualties in the Battle of New Orleans. American casualties: 13.

Whoops! Make that 14.

Our driver and guide - Fred - was excellent. He resembled a young Marlon Brando, and he even pointed out the street where Brando would have been standing as he screamed, “STELLA! STELLA!”

Fred had given 2 tours a day for 10 years. He could answer every question, and I’m a pretty curious guy. I was impressed.

But it all ended in a moment. In a sentence, actually.

“This is where we slaughtered the bloody British.”

His whole presentation had been so good, so educational, so professional, that I was shocked. I looked to the seat behind me and saw the two stone-faces and felt I had to apologize.

“No offense,” I laughed.

“Of course,” he didn’t laugh.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” said Fred. “You’re English, aren’t you?”

And when Stone-Face got off, naturally there was no tip. (I watched.) Would he have given one anyway? Who knows?

But how many times in 10 years do you suppose Fred has spoken those words to customers from U.K.? And how many tips do you suppose they’ve left him?

To me, it was just another little reminder that it’s the little things that kill your business, and we need to constantly analyze our businesses to see where we’ve done something really dumb that costs us. Fred’s certainly not alone. I’ve been in his shoes before.

But ten years is a long time to make a marketing mistake.

Richard Dennis