Go to the Main Business Forum page

He said, "You're going about this all wrong." [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : He said, "You're going about this all wrong."

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

GordonJ
April 17, 2021, 12:59 PM
OK.

We've been out of high school for 53 years now, all of us past retirement age, most retired. I have always said, one must get tired out, before they can then REtire...ha!

I feel that, due to lack of work, the whole knee-jerk reaction to it, ala Maynard G. Krebs (Work? WERK??!) AND how I've built my business the last two decades...that there are many biz muscles not used, and if not, they atrophy and die.

HIS idea was, let's get on his big boat in Lake Erie, head toward the islands, drink beer, fish and chase after old women (both of us single guys now). It sounded tiring, and God forbid, what if I caught one (fish or woman), what in the world would I do with it?

Now I should point out, he built a big family business, and it was the only thing he did, right out of high school and college, and that is certainly one way to do things. ONE THING, do it well and stay put.

I'm not built that way.

So, when he said I was going about my "retirement" all wrong, I understood his perspective, and I get it, albeit I feel there is a lot left to use...but not necessarily the TIME to do it, so picking carefully is important to me.

Now he did advise me to do more consulting, set up a small shop, just to keep active if that is what I wanted, so his insights into my strengths were good.

Also, most of my WORK Werk time today is spent on creative projects: scripts and stories and not much time left for business.

I agree with you, that feedback from good friends can be a blessing, and they can also help us see ourselves as others see us. Then, of course, we can use their feedback, or use it as motivation to do the thing they advise against us doing too.

Gordon

Hi there, Gordon

Thanks for sharing your humanness.

I find it refreshing and humbling, especially in a world dripping with "know-it-all" gurus.

Maybe you can ask your friend to explain more on what he sees you better suited for. And WHY.

In my experience, I've found feedback from true friends to be a BLESSING.

Often they can help us see plans and opportunities which we would otherwise overlook.

Thank GOD for friends that "stick closer than a brother"...

Cheers!

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page