Go to the Main Business Forum page

Take A Trip Down Memory Lane... Do You Remember These 37 Strange Fads? [Archive] - Page 9 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Take A Trip Down Memory Lane... Do You Remember These 37 Strange Fads?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Dien Rice
April 19, 2007, 09:19 PM
I know I spelled it wrong please forgive me I just got up. I don't know how to spell it anyway. Holla hops maybe?

Hi Joe,

Hula hoops...!

I just came across some interesting info about hula hoops... And how its history actually holds some "money-making" lessons...

Apparently, they're an ancient "invention" - in ancient Greece, they were used to help people lose weight! It was also popular in England in the 14th century.

Then, in the 1950s, the Wham-O company brought it back into fashion with a plastic version (and a marketing campaign). They couldn't patent it - because the invention was at least 2,500 years old! However, they did protect themselves by trademarking the name "hula hoop". So they are the only ones allowed to "officially" use that name for their product!

(Wham-O also performed a similar trick with the Frisbee - they didn't invent it, but they came up with the popular name, and own the trademark.)

I think this shows some important things...

Ancient toys (and maybe other items?) can be brought back from history and become popular today in a "modern" form...
Even if you can't protect your product with a patent, you may be able to protect it with a trademark - if your name enters popular usage...!

You can read more about the history at the "hula hoop" article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula_hoop) and at About.com (http://inventors.about.com/od/hstartinventions/a/Hula_Hoop.htm) ... :)

By the way, the history also suggests another idea. I wonder if the hula hoop could come back again - but this time as a "weight loss" product?

Cheers,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page

SOWPub Small Business Forums Database Error
Database Error Database error
The SOWPub Small Business Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.sowpub.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.sowpub.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.