Go to the Main Business Forum page

Here's why good ideas are lousy ideas... [Archive] - Page 12 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Here's why good ideas are lousy ideas...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Dien Rice
July 8, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hi TW,

Reading through what you've written, I get the feeling you want people to buy for "logical" reasons... Seems sensible, right?

There's a saying... "People buy from emotion, and justify it with logic." (I first read it from Joe Sugarman, though it's floating around various places...)

I believe in 99% of cases, it's true! The reason why they buy is primarily emotional. Then... They try to "justify" it with a logical reason. So you need both emotional as well as logical appeal.

Let me give you an example... I have a Macbook (currently not working, and very much missed - I still have to repair it... I'm writing this on an older Toshiba laptop). Why did I originally buy the Macbook? If I'm honest with myself, it's because I find it incredibly "sexy"! It's a beautiful looking machine... It's "cool". I've also used Macs in the distant past, and always thought they were "cool" too.

But... I also "justified" my purchase with logic. When I was considering to buy it, I thought... I can put Windows on it, and have 2 operating systems (both Mac OS X, and Windows)! So it's like two computers in one - and thus, a bargain! Voila! Sale completed!

The bottom line is - in 99% of cases, people don't buy on "logic" alone. Unless you also make the "emotional" sale, the sale probably won't be made.

Anyway, just a few thoughts... Take what you like from it. :)

Best wishes,

Dien

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page