Go to the Main Business Forum page

Here's why good ideas are lousy ideas... [Archive] - Page 8 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Here's why good ideas are lousy ideas...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Bill
July 8, 2009, 05:21 PM
TW:

Why don't you talk about what you're trying to do in some detail here so people might be better able to help you? Since you are trying to approach local businesses, it doesn't seem that talking about your ideas here would "give the game away" or anything. How about some details?

Hi Sandi...

I've never done door to door sales.

I look fine. But -- I do look a wee bit odd, I guess you could say. I do not look 'typical.'

I look a little more like an artist type than an IBM man. This comes across no matter what clothes I'm wearing. Think Albert Einstein in a suit. I look NOTHING like AE -- but I give off that same 'boy genius' vibe. Which is GREAT if one approaches people who appreciate and are OPEN MINDED ENOUGH to see potential 'hidden helpfulness' in someone who's a little off center. Think a well-groomed, well-dressed Columbo type -- for lack of a better description.

I'm a creative type -- and that vibe cannot be hidden... no matter what haircut i get or which clothes I wear.

Trouble is, there doens't seem to be anyone open-minded enough to let me (even) describe a new incoming idea -- or ANY incoming idea.

Then you may say -- don't handle it as if it's a "new" idea, etc. But there's no way to do that really -- because it *IS* a new incoming idea.

Oh wait, I just remembered I once DID do some door-to-door sales. I produced an audio cd to help small biz's with their marketing. I packaged them up and took them (with a countertop display rack) to some printers + mail boxes, etc. type places --- told them they could put these on the counter ON CONSIGNMENT (they pay NOTHING) -- and see how they go. Exact number of takers: ZERO. Yup, even on a completely no-risk 'scheme' like that.

But of course they are going to say 'take a hike.' Their 'incoming new idea filter' is set on the default setting ---- ***KILL***

People do not like 'creative types,' generally, I've found. The number of people who do, are statistically zero.

Sorry for all the 'whine.'

-- TW

PS: I always admired Howard Stern -- not because he's funny (actually I don't think he's funny at all). I admire him because he managed to somehow bridge the gap between 'weirdo' and 'mainstream.' I don't know how he did it, but he did. For myself, I haven't managed to bridge that gap, it appears. When I encounter someone who's eithe 'sympatico' or (at least) appreciates things that come out of left field, then all is fine. Most people look at the unusual with disdain, fear, etc. In other words, close-mindedness. The ENTHUSIASM I have for what I'm offering actually acts AGAINST me, perhaps. They don't share the enthusiasm (understandable because they don't even know what "IT" is yet) -- but they are also additionally suspicious because/if I AM enthusiastic, perhaps (?)

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page