Go to the Main Business Forum page

How to fall into MONEY!!! [Archive] - Page 10 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to fall into MONEY!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Skip Rosell
May 1, 2012, 11:26 PM
if their was not a contract drawn up, the developer owns the source code. IF they are dead, MIA, done, quit or whatever,,, then you are screwed. NOW you can take your chances...

I've been programming for 30 years. I have never given ownership rights to anyone I've done work for.

If a developer works for a company, the company owns the source code. If a developer signs a contract for "work for hire", the client owns the source code. If a client pays a developer to develop a web site (no contract), then the developer owns the source code.

By default, US copyright law does not transfer ownership rights to the client. Basically by default, the client has a license to use it, kinda like when you buy MS word. You do not own MS word, you have a license to use it.

SO be very careful changing someone else's source code.

later...
Pappy

Hi Pappy,

Good to see you are still up and kicking. :)

You are right. Period. That is why I said when I have a better system I would write a report. There are a lot of holes to fill first IF they can be filled.

The way it is right now you are taken a chance. A risk.

If it is a one person business and they pass away you have a good "chance" of having no problems. But on the other hand......

But would you take it to court if you did not service the client but hold them hostage for 3, 6 months. If the business owner owns the Domain that you did the work on does that not imply ownership of the site? What rights does the one who is paying the bill have?

I think it is a fine line>

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page