SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
Don Alm

Default Right On....

My first "j.o.b." was with General Elect Corp. My office was a partition in a 12 person office. A receptionist in the middle of the room and 6 partitions on each side.

In a few days I learned that I was replacing someone who had been with the Co for 25yrs. I was brought in at a fraction of his salary and he was "let out to pasture" at the ripe "old" age of 52....before his "vested retirement rights".

Then, with a month, I noticed 2 other men in their early 50's were replaced by young guys.

Seeing this, disturbed me greatly and I decided then and there, I would hunt for some way to "get my own business started" and NOT be dependent upon anyone else for my "Income Check".

And...within a year I found it....gave my "2 weeks notice" and never looked back.

I was educated and trained to be an "engineer" which did NOT involve "sales" per se. I realized that if I was going to succeed on my own, I would HAVE to do some "selling". So I read and studied everything I could on "Sales". Even went to some Dale Carnegie courses on sales. And I discovered that, after I learned a lot about "sales"...I actually LIKED IT.

Then I found that, even in "those days", there weren't many "Sales" people. I don't know why people, for the most part, don't want to be in "sales". The field is wide open....and....I'll bet that....there are few "Sales Managers" who look at a person's "age" as being the prime requisite.

In fact, the older and more experienced a person is....the more "in demand" they are....as a "Salesperson". Why? Because they can "Sell"! and "bring in Orders!"

NOTHING MOVES until "something is "SOLD".

So...consider studying "Sales" as a "backup career". Ya never know IF you will need a different source of income.

Don Alm