SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 21, 2007, 08:12 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: 3 Proven Ways to Make Job Interviewers WANT YOU

The following wasn't written by me... I'm just "reposting" it...

--
Dear Henry,

Interesting observation about trying to qualify the employer!
I have been in sales for over 10 yrs. It is my experience that at an interview,
for a sales position that might backfire. Alot of these people who hire, are not sales people. Mostly they are recruiters who are looking at resumes which reflect solid sales skills and backgrounds. They may have to weed thru the bottom feeders to get to the real sales people. However, if you wind up at an interview, the place is filthy, papers laying around, phone ringing off the hook you may want to turn around and walk back out, and casually call the interviewer back from your vehicle and tell them that you found employment closer to home. BUT, if its a REAL JOB, then you can guage the interviewer. Believe me, that question " Why should our competitors buy from us" is a steak in the heart of upper mid level management. I really dont think they want to hear that question from my experience, however if you are bold enough go for it. The interviewer will have to explain why they work there, hahahahah. Price is an issue, and have heard that used time and time again. However many of my prospects would have paid a little more for quailty and service. I think sometimes we miss the sale, because we havent found the NEEDS of that customer. As in the interview we can find the needs, isolate the problem and close the deal. That question you pose is in the head of every sales person everyday and they know that they must be able to get around it. What im saying is, that you really dont know untill you sit down with that recruiter or human resources person what they will say. Good Luck!
--

The above post was deleted accidentally, I'm just restoring it. It was posted anonymously... Thanks to the original poster! - Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Dear Henry,

Thanks for the question.

I've had several dozen jobs. So I guess I qualify as an Expert.

3 Questions:

Question #1 - CAN You Research the competition?

Look at some ads at monster.com. Then Call up 2 or 3 local competitors of your new employer. Tell them you're ALREADY employed in sales for a competitor. (Don't say which one) You're just calling to check if their are sales jobs open. And what they pay.

THEN - when you walk into your appointment. Your interviewer will be on the defensive. Because you are name dropping the competition.

Q #2 - CAN You Ask Questions the interviewer cannot answer?

You NEVER want to allow the Personnel Dept to decide to hire you or not. So ASK some questions they can't answer. Which will force them to refer you to the manager you'll be working for.

Q #3 - Can you change your point of view?

Instead of begging for a job. Ask this question...that shows you are choosing who to work for...

If I am to represent your company, what does the CEO or company owner or #1 sales person say is different, better or unique about the product or service you offer?

Why should clients buy from you INSTEAD of your competitors?

=============
IF nobody at the company can answer that question in
2 minutes or less. You do NOT want to work there.

IF they can't tell you why you should buy from their company - YOU will have Big Trouble convincing new prospects to buy.

Thanks,

Glenn

P.S. - What kind of sales job are you interviewing for?