SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 15, 2017, 11:58 AM
SecretAgentMan

Default Re: Food for thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Hello Marcus,

I like your "leadership" spin.

Your other post inspired me to look up "take-away selling". Powerful stuff.

Now about the salesperson giving the leadership role to the client...Hmmm

How do you lead the client from where he is to where he needs to be?

For instance, you have a client who says he needs Solution 401. But from your experience and analysis, you KNOW he needs to start with the rudimentary and less sexy Solution 101.

And the client is the one with the money. He more or less pays our bills.

How do we lead him to humble himself to start with the basics?

That's a very good question. And I suppose that there are probably several answers to the "how" question that you have asked, depending on the specific scenario.

I'm assuming in this one that you are actively speaking with the client, instead of communicating all of this through sales letters, implications, systems, etc. because for those, there are a different set of solutions.

Assuming that you are talking to the client, then if the person has arrived at solution 401 when they should be on 101, then something has already gone awry. A confrontation of sorts is necessary.

The longer the conversation goes on without this confrontation, the harder it will (at least seem to) be to reinstate your authority to lead. It is your job as a responsible leader to not let the tourist guide the tour wherever they feel like going. They will get lost.

However, to really understand this, we really have to go back to the very beginning of the interaction. Because by this point, something has already gone awry.

In fact, we have to go all the way back to that very first 1/10,000th of a second BEFORE the very first impressions were being made.

This is the basis of everything I understand and teach. The first 10,000th of a second is the most powerful. Why do I say that, and what does it mean?

Well, the first 1/10,000th of a second is concerned with who you are at the exact moment that you encounter the client. It has to do with your predisposition, beliefs, attitudes, your state, and millions of other unseen factors that are coalescing as who you are at that exact moment.

That's where all of the power comes from. Let me explain it in another way before I get to how to use this. Because it is imminently useable, it is more useable than anything else I have ever found in life - it makes this stuff literally as easy as snapping your fingers once you "get" it.

And that's all it takes. In fact, I am teaching you the knack of "getting it" I'm going to teach you "how to 'get the knack' of anything". It's a breeze, it's like falling off of a log. Getting the "hang" of it. But let me explain it in one more way first.

You can think about who you are as either existing or being defined by several categories. Most people in the world today are in the category of "getting" - what that means is if I make $100,000 a year, that's who I think I am. I am the guy with the Ferrari or the gal with the cute boyfriend drinking a Starbucks and buying clothes at the mall.

If the person is not constantly fulfilling their "getting-ness", they will start to feel unfulfilled and bored, etc.

The second level is doing. People at this level define themselves by what they do. I sell cars, I ski on the weekends, I travel a lot, I went to the Genesis concert, I went skydiving, I hitchhiker across North America and played in a rock band or I saw so-and-so and shook the president's hand.

People at this level are primarily concerned with creating certain experiences. They could be fulfilled and feel really competent when they are skiing but when they get injured they can't go and do much of anything so it is just terrible for them.

They can still have a bad day, however they are much better off than the getting people. Doing something lasts for quite a while, maybe a whole day. Whereas getting something has an even more temporary sheen. But neither of these is a permanent condition of happiness or success.

At some point in your life, maybe when you are laying your head down at the end of the night, you will find yourself having to stop doing and getting and just be.

And that is the final and most powerful level - being. This is the person who defines themselves by who they are, not by what they have done or are going to do but by who they are. I am a caring person, I have a great sense of humor, I am content and accepting of who I am.

If you find true happiness with who you are, that is something that you can take with you at all times, it doesn't cost any money and it doesn't matter which activity you happen to be doing, or even whether you are good at it or not. You can do something badly and give it 100% because you are already happy with who you are as a person.

That's the place you want to get to.

And also, Gordon J talks about states, this is very similar/May in fact be the same thing. But if you think about it, you do the things you do and you have made the decisions to get the things you have gotten because of who you are.

Every decision, every mistake, every challenge. It all comes from this mysterious entity "who" which resides at the core of your being.

We try to "fix" this who or make it feel better by getting things or by doing things a certain way. And some ways of getting and doing do lead to a certain type of being experience.

But you can see that it is always something about our being that we are trying to achieve with getting and doing. Feel better, feel more confident, if I just do this or if I just get this thing, then so-and-so's will admire me or I can be famous if I do this, or I can finally feel calm if I could take a permanent vacation by either having the best internet business or winning the lottery.

Even if you chart it from a timeline perspective, when you wake up in the morning what you do exists as a future possibility or a past story, and what you get is all in the future or the past.

Who you are is the only thing that exists at all times.

Now, to make the final point that ties all of this together: this is all cart-before-horse (in the real sense). Since being determines what you do, how you do it, and why you do it, which determines your results, why don't we focus on that first?

The answer: because everybody thinks this is abstract mumbo-jumbo! At this point everything you've been taught is screaming "this doesn't make sense!" - but do not worry, I have been there.

Have you ever been listening to a great teacher, or someone who everyone says is a great teacher, and you are just so curious as to why they are the way that they are? Gary Halbert comes to mind. Totally whacky, and many times would insult people for stupid questions.

He was trying to get people to "be" like him. And that's the secret. That's the whole secret.

It is true, when you have become a certain way, doing becomes effortless. If you "were" Gary Halbert, then writing s million dollar ad would be effortless, right? Well, many people who followed him did find their "inner Gary" and they did come to effortlessly write great ads.

In fact, the harder you"try" oftentimes the greater the struggle. To just "do" you have to allow yourself to "just be".

Why do we copy ads in our own handwriting? So we can "get it", so we can experience the type of "being" that the writers had, so that we can experience their salesmanship.

Salesmanship is a type of being, it is not really a series of tactics. Once you understand the being, great sales ideas flow out of you effortlessly because you have the knack for it. You understand the objective, the terrain, the challenges and you have become great at it.

But if you could skip the tricks and the learning of endless tactics and focus directly on the becoming, then you'd literally be able to take years off of your learning curve.

From the first 1/10,000th of a second you would be dialed in and selling would be effortless.

This post is getting long, so it will have to be continued. But in the next post, I will explain how to focus directly on the level of being so that you can effectively lead every conversation you enter, especially within a sales context.

I didn't answer the question specifically, however I am answering the question by pointing to the right question. Does the customer choose the 401 when they should be on the 101, or is it really who you are that does so? Read the poem at the top of this thread to find out.