Go to the Main Business Forum page

OMG, guess who I ran into today at the Supermarket...it was none other than... [Archive] - Page 5 - SOWPub Small Business Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OMG, guess who I ran into today at the Supermarket...it was none other than...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

GordonJ
May 12, 2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Gordon.

My view is a bit different.

My opinion: economy is not about the money at all. Instead, economy is all about Confidence.

the trick has always been: make sure the people remain confident about the future. But that they don't become over-confident.

Doesn't matter how things are screwed up right now, or how much debt a country has. If the leaders can imbibe confidence in the people - while making sure there are checks and balances in place that prevent bubble creations, the economy won't suffer.

things look very rosy even though we are seeing record inflations. Indian population is very young. And youth brings its own exuberance and confidence. As the population matures over the next 40-50 years, I see India becoming richer and richer. Mainly because Indian leaders are very conservative and do a very good job of making sure we don't see bubbles.

(Eg: India didn't see its banks collapsing from the sub-prime crisis. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/business/20nocera.html?_r=1 )

It is a good time to invest in India and China and other countries with young populations.

Ankesh,

You always bring a rational and balanced view to the table. Let me counter that with my own "crazy" ideas...the Mr. Gloom and Doom vision...

IF the economy is all about confidence, where do the people look to? Where is the leadership? You apparently have good leaders in India and you point to Japan as being responsible. A couple of issues.

India has one HUGE problem (named Pakistan) which has to be the back drop for much decision making...and it will become a thin balance beam for your leaders to walk. I like the youthful exuberance, but the thing about that which "scares" me, like the new wealth being created in China...is that, all too often, youth likes shiny/sparkly.

Such as cars. And it has been predicted that the China/India market for new cars will explode as more infrastructure gets finished. More cars = more oil imports.

And it is my opinion, that OIL is the old tune we'll be singing.

30 years ago there was a call for an "Appollo" like effort in energy...but the USA leadership, which is about 99% contributed to by Big Oil (and thus the mostly whisper campaign against BP Oil {who points the finger at __________} for the Gulf of Mexico diaster.

Where will India and China get their oil from? China has "locked" up several supply sources, including S. American sources.

Is there enough oil for all of us?

When I (the MDG part of me) look through my oil dripping glasses, it looks kind of murky for me.

What is the OIL situation in India?

Gordon Alexander

Some recent posts on the forum...

Unusual Business Ideas
Interesting, proven, and unusual business ideas
Entrepreneur-Web Internet Resources
Directory of resources for entrepreneurs
Best of Sowpub
Some of the best posts

This is a SOWPub Archive page