SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 22, 2007, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Default The "Real" Fear is....

"FEAR OF REJECTION!"

It's "normal" to be "afraid" of the "unknown" or "Change"!...as with "Changing your job" or "Considering a Divorce" or "Changing your Home"....but the biggest "Fear" when considering starting a new biz or trying to "sell" something is the "Fear of Being Rejected"!

My initial studies and training was in "Electrical Engineering". When I went to Tech School I carried a Slide Rule on my belt and spent my days in Laboratories...BY MYSELF....with VERY LITTLE interraction with "other humans".

I was an "Introvert"...UNcomfortable with being around people.

However...when I discovered that the man I had replaced (at General Electric Corp) was "let go BEFORE his "vested retirement rights set in"...and 3 other engineers in my office were also "let go" and replaced by younger people just prior to their "vested rights" set in....I KNEW....I had to "get the heck outa there" so that I didn't spend 25 or 30 yrs with this Co and "let go" just before my retirement rights set in.

So...I spent about 6 mos hunting for a business I could start...FROM MY HOME!

I found a guy in Florida (from an Ad in the Wall Street Jounal) who had created a new type of Home Burglar Alarm.

I bought a Demo Kit and set about learning how to Sell and Install this product in homes. Only one problem;
I HAD TO MAKE CONTACT WITH HOMEOWNERS!

This meant "Personal Contact" with other humans.

I was "scared out of my wits"! Why? Because I would have to learn how to "Sell" my product. And...because I would LOSE my "Insurance" and other "perks"...I would have to provide these things MYSELF.

So...after being "advised" by my parents, brothers, uncles, cousins, friends and....my "worried and frustrated and scared" wife....NOT "venture out into my own biz"...I went to my bank and opened a New Account called "Security Associates"...had some biz cards and letterheads printed and...."Put My Head Down and BARGED FORWARD".

I did not quit my job but started my biz and started working it in the eves and on weekends. And...after 3 weeks of trying to sell my product and getting rejected by a dozen prospects...I was almost ready to give up when, a dentist BOUGHT MY PROPOSAL.

This was a complete surprise.

It was then I realized, prospects were NOT "rejecting ME"...they were rejecting "my product".

It was NOT....MY personality or persona or appearance or anything else about ME...it was MY PROGRAM....they were rejecting.

When I realized that...my confidence changed. I then began to concentrate on "PRESENTING BENEFITS" of my product or program. I took the FOCUS off ME and onto "my product".

This was when I learned how to "SELL".

With the results being...the 2 neighbors of my first sale expressed an interest in a quote for their homes and....I SOLD THEM BOTH!

This was when I went into my boss's office at GE and presented my resignation....and...never looked back.

So...after many years of starting MANY business programs I learned that, after I did my "due dilligence" and "research" on a new product or program;
1) I "BARGED AHEAD" with what I had and went out onto the "battlefield"
realizing that
2) My "Target Marget" will tell me HOW to sell them....AND....I will get my "shins bruised" with the first few prospects.

As an aside;
Because most of the products and programs of interest to me have been "Advertising Systems" ....which involve making "personal calls" on businesses and professionals....I've seen many "NO Soliciting" signs.

These "signs" just SPUR ME ON! Because I know that "other" salespeople will see those signs and not enter. Which means I will be talking to (for the most part)....someone who has NOT seen a lot of salespeople.

Again....I no longer have a "Fear of Rejection". If a prospect does not buy my product or program...I do NOT consider it a "rejection of ME". It only spurs me on to find out how I can "present my Benefits" stronger.

Thanks for reading,
Don Alm

Some of the Products and Programs I've sold
http://www.midasreports.com