SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 15, 2008, 03:47 PM
Adman

Default Re: It's time for those 2009 Trend predictions... Share your Secrets...

Guess what "J.O.B." is MOST WANTED in the U.S.of A.....in our collapsing economy (according to AOL and USA Today)?????

Yup! "SALES"! BOTH "Inside and Outside" SALES!

Why?

Because, without "Sales"....NOTHING HAPPENS! NOTHING MOVES! Products and services do NOT get SOLD!

So...once again, "US Salespeople" will not only survive but THRIVE! Even if this thing turns into a full-blown Depression.

When I started my first job out of college....it was with General Electric Corp. I was an "engineer" being paid a "pittance" compared to the "Sales" Engineers.

So....I applied for the "Sales" engineer job that came available and discovered that I LOVED "Selling Stuff"....so....I decided that if I could "Sell" for a giant corp....why couldn't I "sell" for MYSELF?

So...after doing much research and looking for a "Business" I could start, I found a company in Florida that had a "New-Type" of Home Burglar Alarm.

So...I bought their "Starter Kit" and set up my new business...which involved "Selling" Burglar Alarms to Home Owners....which I could do in the evening....and keep my "Day Job".

Well...after a few weeks of trying to "sell" my Home Alarm....I had made a few presentations BUT, NO "Sales"....although I "felt" I was getting closer and getting better...with each presentation.

THEN....one evening, when I was about to "call it quits"....I gave a presentation to a dentist and when I showed him my estimate....he said, "OK! When can you start?"

You could have blown me over with a feather!

I was packing up my kit and getting ready to say, "Good Bye! Thanks for your time!"....and because I was expecting a "No!"....I didn't hear his Agreement....and he had to repeat himself, "Hey Don! WHEN can you start?"

Holy Schamoly! My FIRST order! My pen was shaking as I was filling in the spaces on my Order Form.

Then...as I was installing my first alarm on a Saturday....TWO Neighbors came over and asked if I'd come over and "give them an estimate". Which I did and which turned into 2 more installations and those turned into a few more and I then decided that "SALES" was for me...and I gave my 2-week notice to GE and NEVER LOOKED BACK.

So....no matter what you folks hear from anyone....no matter how bad you hear the economy is doing.....if you have a "Knack" for "Sales"....you will do OK!

Don Alm....."Sales"man