SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 28, 2009, 10:07 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: To comment on one specific bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
One car I looked at, the saleswoman gave me the key to unlock. I thought this was odd. I put the key in the door and unlocked it. An alarm started to sound. She instructed me to push a small barely noticeable button on the key and the alarm deactivated. I told her, she had done that on purpose so I would think the auto alarm anti-door-pick device was nifty as I saw it work first hand instead of being Told about it. I saw through her ploy.
Why do you think it is a "ploy", a trick? Why do you think the point is that it is "nifty"?

I would have simply concluded it was a demonstration. She could have described it, but just hearing a description is not "proof". A demonstration is much stronger "proof". No need for suspicions it seems to me, based on your description.

Quote:
Since then, since the car buying exercise, I have now zero interest in car marketing. Throw as much at me as you like, I am NOT in the market. The need to buy a car is not pre-occupying me. And you can present as many dragons as you like their effect on me is Zero.
Note that it says "reveal the dragon" - that is, the dragon has to be already there. It does not say "present the dragon" - as if the dragon is given to you. The problem - the "dragon" - is already there. If there is no problem there, I think there is no "dragon".

The "dragon" comes from you - your problems. If you have no problems, then there is no "dragon" to reveal. However, everybody has problems of some kind (though they may not be car-related!).

So you don't "make up" the dragon, or "present" the dragon. You find the existing problem, then reveal it.

A skilled doctor may find a hidden disease, that the patient doesn't realize she has. The doctor didn't "make up" the disease, or "present" the disease, but he "revealed" the disease - because the disease was already there in the patient. The disease was not created or made up by the doctor.

Let's take an example you've talked about before, like chlorinated water. Showering with chlorinated water could be harmful to your health (from what you've written before). Most people are not aware of this. So a person selling devices to remove the chlorine might "reveal the dragon" - by educating the customer on the harm that the chlorine could be doing to them. Of course, revealing this problem will help them to make the sale. Even so, it is also to the benefit of the customer.

All the best,

Dien